Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Would like an opinion, please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would like an opinion, please!
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I would love an opinion. I also have a few things I want to talk about. So, my fiancé are each others only partners and we've both only been with each other for 100% sure. We have only engaged in manual and oral sex, and even then it's not often. I was all irritated, so I took Epsom salt baths and it went away. When looking down there, I have noticed a skin tag looking thing (tiny!) on my clitoris. Could this happen in a heatlhy person? And I have also seen two lighter colored parts (one slightly larger than the other) just inside my vaginal lips, right below my hymen. These could've been here all along without me even noticing... But it was frightening when I saw them! I have looked, and I was wondering if these could be bartholin's ducts? I can't find a place that describes it well.
I have never had a Pap smear and stuff, because my clinic doesn't do them until a certain age. When I went a few months ago, she asked if I had intercourse so I said no. Then she didn't recommend any tests after I told her what I participated in. Last summer, I had a doctor look at me and I had a yeast infection, so I guess you could say I've been "examined." Because of school, I won't be able to make it for a checkup for anything at least til this summer. Would I be okay to wait as long ad I'm not in crazy discomfort?
I've been worried about all kinds of stuff like cancer, HPV, and everything under the sun! But if I've only had one partner that was strictly non sexually active, I suppose I'd be free from HPV since that's a virus I'd have to catch. Would I be okay to wait?

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skin tags aren't anything unhealthy, they happen to healthy people all the time.

But the only person who could identify what this actually is is a healthcare provider who can take a look in person.

Same goes for what you're describing with coloration differences, especially since it's very common for the tissue of the labia and around the vaginal opening to not be any one consistent hue or shade.

The current recommendation for pap smears is that a person starts them either around the age of 21, or earlier, if they have become sexually active, and that doesn't just mean intercourse, but any genital sexual activity where, basically, you could contract HPV, like oral sex. So, if you haven't started already, you will want to get started sooner rather than later.

If your partner has never engaged in any kind of sexual activity with anyone but you, then by all means, your STI risks, including for HPV, would be low to none. But really, what we want to do once we're sexually active (both of you, not just you) is get started with regular STI testing.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So I suppose I should be okay enough to wait for my checkup in June or July... That's relieving to know my HPV risks are so low! Thanks for the opinion. I don't want to end up with something fatal or anything!
But I'm also on my Withdrawal right now, so it could be irritated for that. And when the white place is more noticeable is after a lot of sweating or a hot bath for some reason.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Oh, also, could you possibly explain where the bartholin's glands exit are? I guess the ducts you could say.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, just so you know, HPV is not actually something that winds up being fatal often for people who DO get pap smears and regular STI tests.

Most of the time, people who have HPV don't get a strain that can cause cancer, and most of those who DO still don't develop cervical cancer. Particularly those who have it detected early via pap smears and other tests.

So, if you have this idea that HPV is a death sentence, know that that's not the reality for the majority of people who DO contract HPV.

And of course, if you want to do your best to prevent it, again, you'll start those smears and get them as recommended, and then also use safer sex with any sex, including with oral sex. With all other STIs, we'd say to only ditch those once a partner has been tested, regardless of their sexual history, but since men can't get tested for HPV yet, that isn't something we can recommend with this one.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you haven't been sexually active yet, you may wish to consider getting the HPV vaccination course. This will protect against the main strains causing cervical cancer and genital warts.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.