Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Herpes -- how do I know if I have it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herpes -- how do I know if I have it?
bootless
Neophyte
Member # 35128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bootless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, first-time poster.

Recently I've been kissing one of my friends, and I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I'm worried that I've contracted herpes from him (he says he doesn't have it, and I trust vehemently that he wouldn't lie about such a thing if he knew). In the past few months he had a couple of one-night stands with strangers. I haven't had sex with him, but I might in the future. Anyway, I've noticed some very, very small white bumps at the corners of my mouth, on my top lip. They don't hurt or cause me any discomfort in any way, and do not look red and irritated as herpes does in the photos I've seen of it. Still, I'm worried. Could this possibly be herpes? It's quite possible that they were there before I ever kissed him -- it's just that paranoia has got me meticulously scrutinizing every centimeter of the skin by my mouth. Advice? Help? Suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks. [Smile]

[ 09-12-2007, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: bootless ]

Posts: 8 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For starters: don't panic - the majority of the population HAS oral herpes (cold sores), and most of them probably received it in an entirely innocent way like sharing a drink with a friend, or getting a kiss from a relative when they were little. Really, oral herpes are fairly harmless, and very common, and it's not too difficult to live with them safe and healthily.

Now, what you're describing doesn't sound that much like a cold sore outbreak (herpes tend to be clusters of blisters, and are usually pretty painful), but you can always ask a doctor or nurse (a lot of times, you can just walk in and ask, many clinics probably won't charge you for just taking a look and telling you yes or no) if they think the spots are anything serious.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bootless
Neophyte
Member # 35128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bootless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! You've definitely quelled some of my worries. These little bumps are clustered together, but they really don't resemble herpes in any other way. I'm sure they're nothing (despite how paranoid I am that they are something) but I should probably see a doctor anyway, just to put myself at ease.
Posts: 8 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.