Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » First time and Rhythm Method

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time and Rhythm Method
Kate3800
Neophyte
Member # 34614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate3800     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I lost my virginity to my boyfriend. He didn't have a condom and he suggested I use the rhythm method if I was on a safe day. I track my periods on a calandar anyways, so I knew that this was not a fertile day for me. I had sex and it hurt a little but I didn't bleed. I guess that's normal.

My big question though, is it ok to use the rhythm method to avoid pregnancy? It seems like it should work and my period is very regular. If not, I guess I could get EC pills, but I hope I don't have to.

[ 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Kate3800 ]

Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That particular "method" isn't much of a method at all. It's more like playing Russian Roulette. So, in short, bad idea.

You say you're tracking your periods, but are you also charting your cervical mucus, cervical position, and basal temperatures? Because that's the only way to even begin finding out when you're ovulating. If you're interested in using something like fertility awareness (which is NOT the same as what most people are thinking of when they talk about the "rhythm method") combined with condom use, then I'd suggest you check out Toni Weschler's book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility."

The idea that all women ovulate in the middle of their cycle is a pretty outdated thought. So unless you're really tracking, using those other indicators I mentioned, you really won't have any idea what's going on with your cycle.

So yes, if you don't want to become pregnant, it would be a sage idea to go get EC as soon as possible and to invest in some condoms. Also, if you and your partner haven't both been tested for STIs, you'll want to schedule those tests as well.

For more information about your various contraceptive choices, check out: Margaret Sanger's Disneyland: Choosing Contraceptives
For more information about pregnancy risks, check out: What's the Risk? Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessments

[ 07-10-2007, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate3800
Neophyte
Member # 34614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate3800     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply. I will get EC then and take your advice about buying condoms. My boyfriend claims to have been tested for stds at the doctor and said he's negative for all of that.
Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as we want to trust our partners, that's no substitute for actually being tested and for seeing the results. If he's been tested, then he should be able to provide you with a copy of the test results. And again, it's not about trust, it's about safety and health. Think about it, many STIs that don't cause serious physical problems in men carry very serious consequences for women.

Also, one clear test doesn't necessarily mean that one is actually clear due to the incubation periods of various STIs. It's always wise to have at LEAST 2 clear screens for each partner, 6 months apart, while you've both been monogamous and using barrier methods during the entire time. That's the only way you can even begin to know whether you're clear or not (and even that's no guarantee). (And frankly, I'm not sure I'd be taking my birth control/STI prevention advice from a guy who suggested the rhythm method either.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate3800
Neophyte
Member # 34614

I guess I will just make an appointmnt with mom's gyn doctor then. I really wish I would have used a condom now.
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Good for you for making an appointment!

You know, the important thing is that now you know and you can start educating yourself and making wise choices based on your own knowledge rather than on what a partner tells you. Surf around the main site here, you should find lots of good information! You may also want to check out this thread about talking to your doctor.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.