Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pap?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pap?
Bunnibug09
Neophyte
Member # 33812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bunnibug09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow I'm going to get my first pap... some tell me that it doesn't hurt, but both my sisters say that it does... does getting your first pap hurt? and if it does... what about it hurts????

--------------------
-Your Bunni

Posts: 18 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paps aren't terribly comfy and fun, but they shouldn't hurt. Just try to relax. Might also help if you ask your gyn to explain what they're doing so you're aware of what's going on.

Also, check out this helpful article:
Your First Gynecologist Visit

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bunnibug09
Neophyte
Member # 33812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bunnibug09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you

--------------------
-Your Bunni

Posts: 18 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, keep in mind that if it DOES hurt you, please let your gyn know! [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgillten
Neophyte
Member # 32711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcgillten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard that it hurt too.. but when I was getting it done, I didn't even know that it had already taken place! My doctor told me she was finished and I was like "I never felt a thing!"
I suppose it varies from person to person.

Posts: 8 | From: Montreal | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelsface
Activist
Member # 27822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelsface     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the first time i had my pap i was really nervous about it, which really didnt help! i tensed up a lot which made me push against the speculum(sp?) and that's the only thing that hurt.. my second time was a lot easier because i knew not to get nervous!
if it makes you feel any better i'm getting one next tuesday!!

Posts: 114 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst sensation I've ever had from a pap was a slight pinching sensation for about half a second. If you've ever had trouble getting a tampon out (cramps, dryness, what have you), that feels worse than a pap.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.