Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » genital warts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: genital warts
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

A potential parner has just confessed to me that he has genital warts. I haven;t had sex or any sexual contact with him yet. And I read the sti file on it (HPV), and i searched the boards, but basically all i've found is that using condoms is pretty much the safest way to protect me from getting them, should we have sex/sexual contact. How safe are condoms in this aspect? Is there anything besides condoms that would protect me?
I am going to be getting the Gardasil shots, but how am i to know if the strain he has is one of the ones the shots will protect me against? can they test that? (and i know the shots happen oer the course of a few months, we would not be engaging in intercourse for quite a long time, at least until after i've had all three)

[ 03-19-2007, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: asargent42 ]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condoms are not perfect protection against HPV, but it's the best you're going to get. HPV is spread by skin contact, and because condoms cannot cover all the skin around the genitals, they cannot offer the fullest protection. But like I said, it's the best you're going to get.

Of all the people carrying wart-causing HPV strains, only about 1% of them will ever get warts. The rest carry it silently.

Gardasil is great, and I'm glad you're getting it. Will you know that his strain of HPV is one of the strains covered by the vaccines? No. But the good chemists at Merck have done their best to pick the most common strains out there, so chances are, you'll be covered.

It's up to you to decide how much risk you want to take, and to minimize those risks as best you can. Condoms and possibly abstaining from certain sex acts are some options to consider.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.