Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » morning after pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: morning after pill
RoxyGurl16
Activist
Member # 18792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoxyGurl16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had intercourse 5-6 a.m saturday morning, I should be okay in time for the morning after pill tomorrow noon?

--------------------
~*MeLiSsA*~

Posts: 45 | From: fernandina Beach, Florida, US | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, if you had unprotected intercourse, or there was a contraception failure, obtaining Emergency Contraception tomorrow is within the timeframe to greatly reduce you risk of pregnancy by taking it.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyGurl16
Activist
Member # 18792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoxyGurl16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken it before...I would've taken it sooner, but the clinic is closed saturdays/sundays...and I had to work today. I was jsut making sure so I can be safe.

--------------------
~*MeLiSsA*~

Posts: 45 | From: fernandina Beach, Florida, US | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, EC is effective up to 5 days after a risk, though of course the sooner you take it the better, so definitely go get it asap tomorrow. [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyGurl16
Activist
Member # 18792

I know I took it 2 days after the first time, but it was like 2 years ago. Whats the percentage aftective rate? And would it make a difference what time of my cycle I am.

--------------------
~*MeLiSsA*~

RoxyGurl16
Activist
Member # 18792

Im actually scared... [Frown] I dont like being in these situations.

--------------------
~*MeLiSsA*~

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry it took a little bit to get back to you, honey. Should there be a next time, btw, and you just need some emotional support, do feel free to start a new topic asking for that in the emergency and crises forum, okay?

EC can be anywhere from 0 - around 96% effective, but so long as it's taken within that 120 hour window, it's upwards of 70% last I checked.

What's going on, babe? Did you have a method fail or are you having a hard time getting one, or getting a partner to cooperate?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67118 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyGurl16
Activist
Member # 18792

I jsut had a drunk night and I slept with a coworker (which im disgusted that I slept with someone that I ahd no feelings for),he took the condom off. We had unprotected sex and it was at the point were I didnt even care because of the whole drinking. Im a very resposnsible person and Its all adding up to stress from work and college....then this on top of it. I want to be as safe as possible . The last time this happend a condom just broke, but I was ok after everything. I hate to be in these positions, but Im getting through it. I know it sounds jsut simple to take a pill.....but its much more.

--------------------
~*MeLiSsA*~

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one who had ever been through a pregnancy scare would think it was simple, Roxy.

(And I'd expect that even anyone who hadn't here wouldn't present it as if it were, either.)

Sometimes, people who carry the most responsibility fall the hardest when they fall, so sounds like it might be a good idea from here on out to see what you can do to best manage your stresses and make sure your plate isn't so full that you explode or implode, okay?

And just make sure that within the next few weeks, you get a new STI screen as well so you get all your bases covered.

If you get the EC tonight or tomorrow morning, you can count on it being highly effective, just to allay your fears.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67118 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

And FYI, if you;re in college, you're probably over 18.

You are aware that EC is available over the counter for women over 18 now, right? So you don't have to get to a clinic, you can just get to your local pharmacy to get it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

RoxyGurl16
Activist
Member # 18792

Thakns for all the support. I just have my off days and today is one. Im going to the clinic tomorrow morning to get the pill...and then hopefully back agian to start birth control. I dont sleep around, its just if I ever decide to get in another relationship...I want to be safe for my self. Its hard being 19 and starting my own life...college work and my bills, but like I said i have my off days. I dont think it can get any harder. If i need someone to talk to I know I cna always come back here. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it

--------------------
~*MeLiSsA*~

RoxyGurl16
Activist
Member # 18792

I know, but I dont know if i can afford it at the moment.

--------------------
~*MeLiSsA*~

Heather
Member # 3

Call a close friend: between you and a friend, you've got to be able to scrape $40 or so together.

And if you're going to wait for the clinic, just be sure and schedule those STI screenings then took, okay? Pregnancy is certainly a big deal, but an untreated STI can also really mess up your life and health, too.

I know it can be really tough starting your adult life and shouldering all of this stuff: just do yourself a favor and make sure you are doing what you can to give yourself needed supports, too. can't say it won't get harder, it very well might, but over time, one does get more used to dealing with it all. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

RoxyGurl16
Activist
Member # 18792

Thanks. I am going to go to the clinic tomorrow ....getting tested as well. Im not looking forward to being sick..lol

--------------------
~*MeLiSsA*~

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.