Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Anal sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anal sex
lfc4life
Activist
Member # 28478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lfc4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey

I am really worried now! I am 16 years old and me and my girlfriend were meeting up last Tuesday but I like a idiot forgot the condom. So she suggested I give her anal sex instead because you wouldn't need a condom! So we did this anyway at all and everything ws ok! I told one of my friends yesterday and he said you can still get pregnant! I told me Girlfriend yesterday and she said don't be stupid he is just messing about with you! I jsut want make sure about this?

Thanks

Posts: 49 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unprotected anal sex carries high risks of STI and also can carry a risk of pregnancy, due to semen running out of the anus and down the perineum.

Your girlfriend is uninformed.

You know, when you forget a condom, a really awesome option is to opt out of sex PERIOD. Or, you can go buy more condoms if you like. But anal sex is NOT a sound option when you're without condoms.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lfc4life
Activist
Member # 28478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lfc4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aw my god! wat the chances of this do you reckon? Is it anything to worry about

Thanks

Posts: 49 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd advise emergency contraception if pregnancy is an absolute no-go for either of you, if it's been less that 120 hours since the risk, but unfortunately, it sounds like it's been longer than that, in which case, there's nothing you can do but wait and see. I'd generally list anal sex as a moderate-to-low pregnancy risk for young women. It's not the same sort of risk unprotected vaginal intercourse carries, but it's not as low a risk as say, the risk from "dry" sex when only one partner is clothed.

There isn't anything to do for either of you in terms of preventing the STI risks: you already took those, so all you can do there is be sure that you are BOTH up-to-date with your yearly STI screenings (and I'm guessing neither of you are, and both of you have likely never even had them). If you're not, schedule those for about a month from now. BOTH of you.

So, yes: pregnancy and STIs? Both things to worry about, preferably in advance, not after the fact.

You know, Barry, you've been around Scarleteen for a long time, so if you haven't taken the time to look through some of the basic information that's here for you, now would be a really good time to do that.

I'd suggest starting with the following:
• A Quickie STD/STI Risk Assessment
• Ready or Not? The Readiness Checklist
• Safe, Sound & Sexy : A Safer Sex How-To
• What's The Risk? Five Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment Flow Charts

[ 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conan
Neophyte
Member # 32349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for conan         Edit/Delete Post 
Anal sex is extremely dangerous in my opinion. It is a major source for hepatitis. I see patients daily that are suffering from hepatitis. Certain types are quite serious with no predictable cure. Treatments often run a couple of thousand dollars per month.

http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/programs/bio_safety/viral_hepatitis_types.htm

Can you get pregnant? I think there is a possibility that sperm could leak from the anal canal into the vagina although improbable.

I would suggest that you reconsider your non-chalant attitude towards anal sex.

Posts: 11 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, conan? This users question has already been taken care of.

As well, I'm going to have to ask you to change the overall tone you seem to have in some of your posts. People make mistakes; it happens. But preaching to someone about "reconsidering their attitudes" is not OK and won't be accepted on these boards.

We all have opinions, but just because you have a strong opinion on something does no make it correct. There is nothing wrong with anal sex if it is done safely.

[ 01-21-2007, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

It's also worth remembering that simple condom use takes care of these risks, and that vaginal intercourse carries just as many, and in some cases, even more risks: cervical cancers, pregnancy (which for those without healthcare is a dangerous endeavor), HIV, the works.

So, unless you're also stating that to be extremely dangerous(or making a point that its not taking precautions that's the danger, rather than having a given kind of sex), it's a precarious position to take to single out one sexual activity as The Big Scary, eh?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.