Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Labia problem/Doctor fear.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Labia problem/Doctor fear.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed, after trying desperately to find the cause of painful intercourse, that the problem may be in my labia minoria area.

When I pull apart the lips to expose the vaginal entrance, the skin around my vagina and the entire underside of my entire labia minora look scorched red (I'm lightskinned). When touched, I get a burning/stinging sensation. During sex, the pain is a lot worse; the worst pain is at the very beginning of the labia, directly below my clitoris-- needless to say that makes the pain horrid.

Is it possible for a woman's urethra to be rubbed wrong during sex? I have a history of UTI's, and always go urinate after attempted intercourse, and take regular cranberry supplements. If this is a possible allergy, what sort of doctor would I see to diagnose it? Not an ordinary allergist, I'd assume.

I guess I'm sort of scared to see a doctor, because I tend to be meek and suggestible. The one I've visited in the past dismissed my fears as nothing, and like a fool I went along with it. Any tips from those of you who have dealt with difficult doctors, especially when dealing with complex gynecological probelms?

I really want to get this taken care of, but I think I'll give up hope if I'm patted on the head and sent out the door again.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...I would suggest going to the same doctor you've visited for your UTIs and/or your gynecologist. You might as well try an allergologist anyway. Allergy tests, at least the one I had, involved being injected several times with different things to see what you were allergic with. I don't know whether this would work for latex, but you could always ask, and it doesn't hurt to get tested anyway. Make sure that you're doubts are taken care of, as they're obviously not just results of hypochondria. Be sure to explain the redness in your skin and that you've been having this problem for quite a while now. I'm sure you've tried non latex condoms before? Has that worked? Also, how much time passes before you urinate after sex? From what I understand from my piano teacher, who has also suffered from UTIs, she has to go DIRECTLY after or she'll usually get some infection if she's careless.

Remember, doctors see this kind of stuff every day. I try not to get embarrased by remembering that looking at a human body is like looking at a manequin for them. A nurse once said to my grandmother, when she was being embarrased because she needed her diapers changed, "your poopoo and pipi are not special to me". Though it may have sounded harsh, it gives across a good point; doctors work with other people's bodies all the time. Many of these bodies will be prettier than yours, as well as many will be uglier. Try to think of yourself as one of the many and not "oh no what'll he think of me", and that should help...

P.S: by feeling like one of the many, I only meant the physical aspects. Of course, you have to make sure he takes you seriously. I'd say that talking about your insecurities about the urethra should be worthwhile.

[ 07-29-2006, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Nailo ]

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply, Nailo. [Smile]

I still visit a pediatrician under my mom's health plan for UTI's and other general infections. I only go to the gynecologist for specific health concerns, birth control, and checkups.

I don't think it's a latex allergy.. even too much pressure in/around my vagina causes pain during masturbation. Since the all-clear-call in STI's, I've been attempting sex without condoms with no difference.

I've had frequent problems with yeast in the past, but that's gone under control after taking acidophilus supplements and garlic suppositories. I have no strange discharge or anything like that. I initially thought it was my hymen, but I've been able to grunt through the pain to get penetrated completely a couple times, so I'd think everything would be stretched accordingly by now. I practically dash to the bathroom afterwards to keep UTI's at bay.

I'm not so much embarassed by doctors looking at me-- in fact, I'm frustrated that they haven't bothered. One of them went so far as to suggest sending me to therapy! I've visited at least 5 times, and each time been sent home with a yeast infection treatment and a shrug. I was told that was ALL my symptoms could be, since then I'd been having protected sex.

I've been getting depressed lately, feeling like I'm some sort of freak of nature that simply isn't allowed to have sex. It's not the be-all-end-all, I know, but it's still a major bummer to want something so badly, but have your body refuse.

I'm looking into finding a better doctor. Would it be weird to phone offices in the area and ask if the doctor specializes in/has seen and treated many cases of vulvar pain?

(I didn't mean this to turn into a rant. My apologies, and thank you kindly for any help.)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would it be weird to phone offices in the area and ask if the doctor specializes in/has seen and treated many cases of vulvar pain?
That would actually be a GREAT idea [Smile] when finding a doctor for a specific problem, it's never bad to ask a lot of questions and find someone who DOES have experience in your specific concern.

Also, for another suggestion for dealing with your troubles with doctors:

Before you go into your appointment, make a list of all the concerns you have and then stick to it when you do in. Put stars next to the concerns or questions that are especially important, and use the list as a guideline to make sure you've covered everything and that attention has been given to the most important concerns. You can also write specifically on the list something to help you remember to not just let doctors write-off your concers, something like, "I understand that this may not be anything, but I would really appreciate it and request that you examine this and rule-out any/all possibilities, anyway."

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it really doesn't work when you go visit regular physicians, then I'd say you should go see a gynecologist. Even if you said you only go there for specific health reasons, this one is kind of specific don't you think ?

You have to go to see what's hapenning. Labia can be different colors (they can be even of a totally different color from your skin) but when touched it shouldn't hurt. You're right about that.

So schedule that appointment okay ? And don't abandon your efforts even if you have to visit a whole bunch of doctors before you get to find the right one.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tought about this.

This could has something to do with clothing - say the material of your panties, or jeans, or a dye used to colour your underwear if they are not white. It might not just be a latex allergy. Or it could be a vaginal deodorant or spray if you use one, or even a bath additive of some sort.

Try getting some 1 per cent hydrocortisone cream. This is mild, but very good for relieving itching and inflammation, and you can buy it over the counter quite cheaply. (There's no harm in doing that, I got that advise from a doctor)

[ 07-29-2006, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Thanks so much for your tips, dailicious. The list sounds like an excellent idea, and I'm sure I'll have to use your suggested phrase a couple times. I think I'll also bring in a support person to help me stand my ground.

Thanks for your suggestions as well, cool. I've availed myself of all vulvar skincare tips, switched laundry detergents to a non-allergic type, have always wore cotton panties, the whole bit.

I'd gladly look into the hydrocortisone cream, but I guess I'm scared it'll mask my symptoms before I can reach a doctor. I really only have pain during attempted intercourse, anyway, so I guess that's on the backburner.

Thank you for all your help!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One last thought - perhaps when you discuss these issues with your gynecologist, you may also want to ask if you can see a dermatologist. Sounds a bit weird, I know, but if this is a skin issue causing the pain, a dermatologist may be of more help than a gynecologist.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

I'd never even thought of that possibility; thank you, karybu!

I'm just going to buck up and go. List at the ready, support person accompanying, and if the doc can't find anything wrong again, ask to be sent to someone who can.

Thank you once again, everyone.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.