Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » %age of side effects via bc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: %age of side effects via bc
greenteaish
Neophyte
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenteaish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This co-worker of mine keeps telling me that her breast wont be getting any bigger while she's pregnant because her patch-bc makes her body think that she's already pregnant.

I couldn't tell her myself that I've been on patch-bc for a year now since I don't trust her with that information.

Although I know that all bodies flutuate differently, I can't help but wonder why I've never a side effect of any kind from the bc.

Oh, we also had the argument of whether or not breast growth is a side effect or...not. I think it is.

Anyway, I was just wondering what the %age of side effects from bc is..?

Posts: 9 | From: california | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really hard to answer your last question, because that varies from side effect to side effect, but here's a slide of some.

Who has side effects at all, and who has which ones, is really individual stuff, based on individual body composition and health. So, it's just as normal for you NOT to have had any side effects as it is for another person to have them.

Regardless, the reason breasts grow during pregnancy is because of both weight gain and because of the growth of glands for lactation. The patch does not make a body think it is lactating, nor does it make a person lactate. So, your friend is making some incorrect assumptions, because breast growth when pregnant happens differently than it does when some women experience breast growth on the pill/patch/ring.

Plus, per the patch/pill "making the body think it's pregnant." While that is the most simplistic explantation for what goes on, and it's not exactly inaccurate, it's not what is really going on, in the way it sounds. For starters, it only makes the body "think" this each cycle, rather than cumulatively. Women in their first month of pregnancy rarely experience much more than breast tenderness: most growth happens from the second month onward, stages of pregnancy the pill/patch/ring are by no means mimicking. Too, the pill/patch/ring does not give the body all the hormones that go on during pregnancy. Rather, it just changes the levels and the order in which they happen in such a way that an egg is not released, that cervical mucus is thickened.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.