Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Depo-Provera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depo-Provera
mags05
Neophyte
Member # 21757

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mags05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I just got off the pill and plan on starting birth control again in September or October. I'm only going to have sex with my boyfriend, which is going to be only a few times a year (long distance relationship).
So my question is, could the dep-provera injection be an effective, temporary solution for birth control? More specificly, can I have the injection, then not have it for a month or two, and then have it again? [Confused]
[I'm not really confortable with just a condom or sponge as protection and not liking the pill's method too much.]
As well, would this be "safe" to do? I'm kinda wary about stopping my period completely.

PS, We were both tested for STIs and are clean! [Smile]

Posts: 36 | From: Nl, Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the thing with depo is that once you start taking it, you will want to do it regularly. So what you're proposing is not likely to be a good idea. Depo is like a whopping dose of hormones. So if you take it, and then don't for a month or two, and then try to go back to it, you're going to confuse the heck out of your body. You may find that you have side effects out the wazoo as well due to taking it irregularly.

If you aren't planning on taking it continuously, the it's unlikely that ANY hormonal method of birth control is a good idea for you. Hormonal methods are just not designed to work that way. You've got to take them and take them regularly...otherwise you are not doing your body any favors. If hormonal methods are not for you, then perhaps backing up condoms with a diaphram, cervical cap, or Lea's shield would be a better option.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.