Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » discomfort and redness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: discomfort and redness
tinkertinker
Neophyte
Member # 22927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tinkertinker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today is the second full day that I've been feeling a sort of itching discomfort around my vagina, specifically in between the inner labia. It doesn't exactly itch as in I want to scratch it, just an unusual awareness of the feeling of the skin in that area. It feels soothing to touch it but I'm also concerned that will only cause the discomfort to get worse in the long run (like scratching a masquito bite). It is also very red around the area. I thought that maybe it could be a yeast infection, however there are no odd smells and no abnormal discharge (I am just ending my period so there is still a little left over from that, but thats all). I've never had a yeast infection before, but I did read about it on the site. I don't however have a gynocologist to go to, nor a lot of money to spend. I just want to know what it could be. I am sexually active but have been std tested and all tests came back negative. My boyfriend was also tested and was found to be negative, but was with one girl after he was tested and before me. If it is an STD what could it be? I've tried looking it up but there are so many I'm not really sure where to begin when I'm only looking for two symptoms (redness and discomfort). I guess I just want to know what could this be? I think I want to get some cran-Actin pills just in case it is a yeast infection, because even if its not it wouldnt do any harm to take them right? Other than that I don't really know what to do at the moment. Please help! I tend to be a worrier, especially over certain body parts and as far as stds go. Thanks for any help.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deep breaths

It sounds like it could be a yeast infection. It is possible to have a yeast infection without any foul odors or discharge. You'll need to have this looked at by a doctor. Do you have a family doctor? Are there any sexual health clinics in your area? Check out Planned Parenthood and see if there are any clinics near you.

Even if it's NOT a yeast infection, it could be something else. We can't really say. If it is some other sort of infection, it still needs to be treated. And hey, if it's nothing (or just a little bit of irritation or something), at least you know, and you won't have to worry anymore.

I'm not sure what the cran-Actin pills are, so i can't really speak to that. I'm assuming they are or are similar to cranberry supplements ...? As far as i know, these are usually used to prevent urinary tract infections. They don't *fix* UTIs, and as far as i know, they don't fix yeast infections either. However, there's probably no harm in taking them ... It just may not do what you're looking for it to do.

Good luck

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BusyBee0517
Neophyte
Member # 26191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BusyBee0517     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you and your boyfriend use condomns? perhaps you are allergic to the latex...because those are the symptoms I had before I was told that I was allergic to latex.

I'd think its either that or a yeast infection like the post said above.

Posts: 9 | From: Youngstown, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tinkertinker
Neophyte
Member # 22927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tinkertinker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the problem is only a yeast infection than I know I can handle that....but does it sound at all like it could be any form of std? I'm going to make an appointment to go to planned parenthood next week, its the first chance i'll get, its just the waiting that drives me crazy, im so nervous about it.
Thanks for your help.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.