Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Hey, just a question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, just a question
writergirl
Neophyte
Member # 26059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for writergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I just need some info for a story I'm writing and I really hope you could help! Last year in sex ed our teacher said that one of her prior students started having very sharp pains in her stomach because she had had unprotected sex. What is the name for this, or does it even have one?
Many thanks,
Writergirl

Posts: 3 | From: U.S. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't really a specific condition. Your teacher was just scaremongering.
All I can say is - if she were to have caught an STD (eg. gonorrhoea) as a result of unprotected sex, she could experience some pain.
If she were to have become pregnant as a result of the sex, she could have some symptomatic pain.
If she had taken an emergency contraceptive, she could have some cramping.
If she were huuuugely worried about the sex (i.e. pregnancy risk), then she could have severe cramps and anxiety pains. I am telling you from personal experience that if you are worried about being pregnant, you can be in an indescribable amount of anxiety pain which is sharp and crampy. Agony.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
writergirl
Neophyte
Member # 26059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for writergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a bunch!!! Is it possible it was an infection she was talking about?
-writergirl

Posts: 3 | From: U.S. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NobodySaidItWasEasy:
There isn't really a specific condition. Your teacher was just scaremongering.
All I can say is - if she were to have caught an STD (eg. gonorrhoea) as a result of unprotected sex, she could experience some pain.

bzzt, wrong.

yeah, scaremongering is a common tactic, but let's face it, fear gets more notice from more ppl in the short term than pleasantries.

with that said, the teacher was describing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). it is a complication of common STDs that affect women, particularly chlamydia and gonorrhea.

The problem is, chlamydia and gonorrhea are often symptomless. more than half of sufferers feel nothing at all, so the infection persists without detection. It spreads from the vagina, up into the uterus and into the Fallopian tubes. This launches an immune response from your body. The tissues get inflamed, and wind up with scarring, thickening and adhesions. Inflammation can be pretty painful. PID often manifests as chronic abdominal cramping and painful sex. In many cases, it causes infertility because the Fallopian tubes get scarred and close up. This inertility is PERMANENT.

And yes, it was likely caused by unprotected sex. Chlamydia and gonorrhea are easily prevented with condoms and regular checkups (it's a urine test for both). moreover, these diseases are curable with just one pill! Women get it far more easily than men thanks to the consruction of our anatomy. But because of a common negligent behavior, thousands of women every year lose the ability to bear children.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
writergirl
Neophyte
Member # 26059

Thanks so much!!! Just one more question, if it isn't too much. YOu don't have to answer if it is. If you could put the pain on a level from 1-10, 10 being the highest, what would you rank it?
-writergirl

[This message has been edited by writergirl (edited 11-07-2005).]

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of pelvic inflammatory disease just in the day to day (assuming that's what the teacher was even referring to)?

Think bad menstrual cramps, chronically. Really, if your teacher was descibing PID, one sudden sharp pain isn't very accurate. PID tends to create a more constant, chronic pain.

You can't really 1-10 pain from any given ailment in general because everyone has different pain thresholds.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.