Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: problem
skittles123
Neophyte
Member # 24461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skittles123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think i might have a yeat infection! i checked online and i have all the symptons the problem is im afraid to tell my mom about it b/c shes gonna freak out and ask me if i have had sex and interrogate me and make a huge deal about it so thats why im afraid to tell her, but i also dont want to go buy a cream and not go to the doctors. should i tell my mom or just go and buy a cream? i need help!
Posts: 19 | From: Union City, NJ, U.S. | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to self-medicate a condition you're unsure of is ALWAYS a bad idea.

You need to see your doctor.

I don't see why you need to tell your mom ... You can check the phone book for local clinics like Planned Parenthood. They can often offer their services on a sliding scale; you pay what you can afford.

Even if you do choose to tell your mom that you think you may have a yeast infection, this doesn't necessarily mean you're sexually active. Many women get yeast infections, and often sexual activity has nothing to do w/ it.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toyotaae86
Neophyte
Member # 25986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toyotaae86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a guy and prob have no idea but I think that drinking a heap of beer can do that. Just say you got drunk or something. Either that or google alternitve reasons for yeast infections because im sure there are other reasons.

Found this one: http://health.ivillage.com/gyno/gynoinfect/0,,4nzq,00.html

Posts: 5 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyelash-princess
Neophyte
Member # 26039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eyelash-princess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeast infections, such as thrush,(if i remember correctly) are nothing to do with intercourse. they can occur when you wear pants that are too tight, or if you have another condition such as intestinal parasites, or pretty much anything can cause it, really. heat tends to aggravate the problem.

I don't know about where you live, but in my country, you can just go to a pharmacy and ask the chemist for something to treat it. you can check your symptoms with them, and such.

but seeing a doctor is always a really good idea, especially if this has never happened to you before. you need to know what causes it, and how to prevent it.

Also, don't be afraid to talk to your mother. She should know that it's not caused by intercourse, and she'll help you with any info/support you need. (if she's not a total alien, that is ^_^ )

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are certainly plenty of things that can cause yeast infections besides alcohol. Lying to a parent about drinking alcohol hardly seems like a wise idea to me. When dealing with ANY infection (sexually transmitted or not), your best chance of getting proper treatment is telling the truth about how it occured.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely understand. I got one from some antibiotics I was on for another infection. Seriously annoying...Anyway, when my mother found out, she was all pissy about it until I pretty much slapped her across the face with the papers I got with the meds.I'll bet anything your mom is about the same age as mine(born in the 50's -60's). It seems like alot of women in that generation are stuck on some really wrong ideas. I still don't understand WHY,though...
Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.