Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Assessing the Risks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Assessing the Risks
BetterSitUp
Neophyte
Member # 20367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BetterSitUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night my boyfriend and I had anal sex. It was something we had been talking about for a long time. We've tried a couple times before, but it always began to hurt so I would ask him to stop. We'd been doing some stimulation with fingers and such, and last night I decided I wanted to try again. He helped me relax, and we communicated really well and were successful. And it was actually rather enjoyable.

Ok, so now with that information, I have a question. We used a lot of lube, and started with a condom, but it kept slipping down, and getting in the way, I was afraid it might come off inside me, so he took it off. We have been together for over a year, and have both had negative STD screenings. I am on birth control, and we don't use condoms for PIV intercourse. So I guess I just want to make sure that this wont harm either one of us. We showered right after we were done, so it's not like he touched my vagina with dirty hands or, anything else. If someone could just let me know the risks here, I would appreciate it.

------------------
"She's the blade and you're
the paper." ~Sugarcult

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using barrier protection is important for anal sex, even if one were 100% sure that one had no STDs (which no one does, really). Trace amounts of fecal matter in the anus contain harmful bacteria, as well as the fact that the fact that the anus is delicate and very prone to microtears.

Perhaps a female condom could be an alternative to the male condom if you found that the regular condom kept falling off.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashy:
Perhaps a female condom could be an alternative to the male condom if you found that the regular condom kept falling off.

I think the issue was the condom being used for anal sex slipping off, Ashy. In which case, the only thing I could suggest is maybe a snugger fit of condom and/or oodles of lube?

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BetterSitUp
Neophyte
Member # 20367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BetterSitUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I really just want to know how important a condom is in this situation, for us. I mean if we were to do it again would it be absolutly essential that we use one? I've heard contradicting things. Some have said a consom should always be worn for anal sex, yet others say that it is not needed for married and/or monogomous couples. Thanks for the replies!

------------------
"She's the blade and you're
the paper." ~Sugarcult

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, whether you're married or not doesn't matter. Singing a marriage liscense does not exempt you from all the issues that might arrise.

We highly reccomned condoms for anal sex because of the sensitive nature of it. A condom can help protect the skin inside the anus from small tears. Also, lubrication is a must. The anus does not produce natural lubrication, like the vagina. A condom also helps prevent the spreading of bacteria from the anus to the vagina.

Believe or not, a pregnancy risk can exist, as well. Gravity still exists, and semen still must seep out. Because of the closness of the anus to the vagina, and the fact that sperm are strong swimmers all contribute to a very possible pregnancy risk.

If you feel comfortable enough with your partner and your use of condoms, that's okay. But lots of lubrication is essential.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms should *always* be worn for anal sex. Why? Aside from STD/STIs that may be a risk, fecal matter carries bacteria. Bacterial infections can be quite common, and it's much more pleasant to avoid them. Also, if condoms are your only method of protection, anal sex can carry a pregnancy risk too, since semen can drip out of the anus towards the vagina. Condoms, and lots of lube to prevent condom breakage, are a very good thing.
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.