Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » misinformed???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: misinformed???
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I just got back from my doctor's appointment. Just my pediatrician; I'll be hooking up with a GYN pretty soon. My doc does do first gynecological exams and knows about adolescent sexual health. But she told me some stuff which was very different from stuff here on Scarleteen. First off, she told me that condoms fail 1 time in 3 used on their own; secondly, she said I should be using spermicide as an added contraceptive if I didn't want to get pregnant. Is she totally wrong or are these just a matter of who you talk to or opinion?
Posts: 72 | From: massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen ANY reliable documentation which gives condoms that failure rate, and if your pediatrician has referred to even one or two of the most stanrdadly used contraceptive references doctors used she would see how off she is, there. Typical use rates for condoms put them at about 75-80% effectiveness if you throw a pilke of couyrse together but IN that typical rate is included not putting them on properly, not using lubricant as well as not using them at all. (But even the low end of that rate isn't a 60% effectiveness, which is what she told you.) Perfect use rates for condoms are pretty excellent.

You can't have an "opinion" on effectiveness ratings -- I mean, you can, but it's not going to reliable: those rates are generally found via BIG studies with lots of data, not the experience of a few people or one office's patients, so they can be accurate.

You do NOT need to use a spermicide with condoms: if you want to use condoms alone, you'd be well advised to use LUBRICANT, as that keeps them from breaking quite substantially. Too, backing up with a second method is always a good idea -- no matter your method -- but there are scores of options there which are far more effective than spermicides: other barrier methods like a diaphragm or cervical cap, hormonal methods, etc.

Per your doctor giving you inaccurate information, there could be any number of reasons for that. One, she simply may not actually DO much practice in sexuality or keep current with sexual health information. Or, she may, unfortunately, be doing what plenty of doctors do, especially to young women, and be trying to inflate risks to scare you off being sexually active. Or, she may have ideas of her own which conflict with accurate information.

But you know, whenever a doctor tells you something that sounds off, you can ALWAYS ask them to show you the reference they're using and getting that information from. If they can't name one off the top of their heads, or blow you off when you ask that, you can be pretty safe assuming they are talking out of their bottoms, whether they intend to be incorrect or not. Doctors, like anyone else, aren't immune from talking a good game when they aren't fully informed or don't care to be.

Sounds like it's high time for you to hook up with a private GYN or a sexual health clinic.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an added note on why we're not all about spermicdes here:

Spermicides ARE viable birth control backup with condoms, with other methods. BUT.

The userbase here -- 14 - 22 year olrds -- are in the highest risk group for STIs, especially the young women, and spermicides CAN irritate genital tissue and make STI transmission more likely.

As well, spermicidally-lubed condoms ultimately haven't been shown to be much more effective than non-spermicidal condoms, and only IF the condom breaks is that going to be an issue anyway: AND we'd advise EC for a condom break even with spermicide, because it doesn't cover your tush that effectively in the case of a break or slip, so.

So, ultimately, spermicides are best used with things like diaphragms, and moreover, with older users in long-term monogamous partnerships where STI transmission is not as large a concern.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel really cheated right now... I mean she has been my doc for my whole life. And she looked at me straightfaced and lied... I think she probably wanted to make me paranoid about pregnancy so I'd take extra measures to be careful... but STILL that isn't fair to me!!!!!!!!

thank you for your reply Miz S. Yah I'm definitely getting an appt. with a GYN as soon as possible.

Posts: 72 | From: massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize that it's hard to memorize stats, right? I can't rmember the prevalences of every single disease either, and I do have ot turn to my books every now and then. you also need to realize that some sets of statistics will differ from others because of the criteria they're measuring. For example, "failure" in one study may means something different from something else.

Your doctor means you no harm and probably didn't lie to you intentionally. But she also didn't want you ignoring the risks involved in sexual activity. None of us want to diminish the importance of consequences because they're already ignored by a lot of the folks who are at risk.

Anyway, you are old enough to stop relying on your pediatrician. Yes, they're supposed to deal with infants through adolescents, but once you get to a certain point in your development, it's time to get a grown-up doctor. That of course includes a gynecologist, but it should also include your primary care physician.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.