Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Vaginal smell/taste....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaginal smell/taste....
Electric_Amish
Activist
Member # 14443

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Electric_Amish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I realize that all vaginas smell, and that each woman has her own unique scent/taste, and that's cool and all, but I just don't like mine. I can imagine it would taste similar to how it smells, and I was wondering how much the odor is determined by diet. As a penny-pinching college student (with not many pennies to pinch...) I probably don't exactly eat quite as well as I would like to (ie, ramen in semi-mass quantities. and, as we all know, ramen=sodium). I shower daily, but in our dorms, we don't have removeable shower heads, so I find it much harder to clean my vulva and such (and I usually have a good amount of discharge). Any suggestions?

------------------
There are two kinds of men: the kind that hold your hand and the kind that do you.

I live in a giant bucket.

Posts: 60 | From: Clemson, SC, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not all that uncommon for some women to essentially be hypersensitive about the scent of their genitals, smelling a scent that basicallly doesn't even exist, or just isn't as strong as it seems.

So, the best suggestion would be to check in with your GYN. If your diet is total crap, that might contribute in a small way to vaginal odor, but even that is unlikely to be a big cause. Healthy vaginal discharge actually helps to keep the genitals CLEAN, so that's really a non-issue; as well, a normal shower can get the vulva plenty clean -- it's just not that complicated. Vaginal odor is almost always about infection or imbalance, so your GYN would be the best person to see to find out if you're amplifying something when you're healthy, or if you do have a health issue to deal with.

(Btw, Amish? Your sig quote there is incredibly sexist. I'd like it if you could choose something else, preferbaly something that doesn't stereotype and insult half the polulace. Thanks.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Electric_Amish
Activist
Member # 14443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electric_Amish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

(*blush* You're so right. Very sorry about that... )

------------------
I live in a giant bucket.

Posts: 60 | From: Clemson, SC, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arkita
Neophyte
Member # 21015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arkita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so.... I've been on my period for about a year and a half, and I'm a virgin. I've never had any sorts of smells after my period, but I just got off mine two days ago, and today I had this HORRIBLE fishy smell, and it was very strong. People around me would remark about it, but I just kept silent. The scent is accompanied by a lot of discharge. I think it may be bacterial vaginosis.

However... I have a problem XD I don't talk to my parents about my periods and girly stuff like that. I simple REFUSE to speak to my mother about it, seeing as we're not close at all. Of course, I don't want to talk to dad. I have a step-mom, but.... well, no. Is there anyway I can get rid of it without discussing it with a guardian? Or, even better, how long will it take for it to simply go away?

Posts: 1 | From: Memphis | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That definitely sounds like bacterial vaginosis or another type of bacterial infection.

You do need to see a doctor to get treated for it--it probably won't go away on its own, and if it gets worse, it may land you in the hospital.

I think this is the time where you'll just have to suck it up and get one of your guardians to take you to a doc. It doesn't matter how close you are or if you feel it's a personal issue--it's the same as if you had funky discharge coming out of your ears--it needs to be taken care of. I understand the feeling, but you really need to get it over with ASAP--otherwise, you could end up having to tell your parents, but you'll have to be taken to the hospital rather than the doctor.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, your father knows about womens discharges. You can discuss it with him. Your health is his concern too.

Honorably discharged: A Guide to your Vaginal secretions

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 12-03-2004).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotta
Activist
Member # 20900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why are you nervous? somethings wrong with you.....its not like your parents CAN be mad at you. you didnt do anything wrong.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.