Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Favorite protection... and why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite protection... and why?
icy_gal
Neophyte
Member # 20584

Icon 12 posted      Profile for icy_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all you guys!!! I was just wondering what your favorite protection stuff... condoms, lubes, etc. are.

You see, my boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year, and despite being in my early teens, we're very safe with everything we do and very mature in the fact that we research and have discussed stuff. Anyway,I was going to buy some condoms and stuff for Christmas.

We've talked about this for a L-O-N-G time, and I just would appreciate knowing what the best and most sufficent stuff is. I'm on a b/c pill already because of heavy periods, but I know we need extra protection. Anyway, what works best, most comfortable, anything!

Thanks SO much guys! Later!

Posts: 22 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Safe, Sound & Sexy ñ A Safer Sex How-To

Sounds like this may answer some of your questions.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 10 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha.

Well, condoms are essential, no matter what kind of chemical protection you use. The brand of condoms you select is up to you, as they come in many textures and sizes. Shop around various brands, but make sure the condoms you buy are not "sold as novelty only", such as some glow in the dark condoms, check the standards they comply with carefully. Make sure to select the right size too. I can't recomend a brand to you since they are different from country to country, I'm Aussie and my brand of choice is DUO, and most condoms come in extra sensitive varieties, which are just as strong, but cost a little extra and are much thinner. A lot of stores sell sampler bags for a small price, but those are mostly adult stores and you might get kicked out, it really depends on the store and how you handle yourself there, I only ever got kicked out of one store, and it wasn't a good one anyway.

As far as lube goes, the standard deal of "water-based-latex-safe-sugar-free". KY Jelly is universal, and in Australia, Wet Stuff is well priced (haven't tried it yet though,) and four seasons has a good reputation. For US citizens, Astroglide!

Now onto the topic of female condoms. Honestly, I never looked for or bought them, and they are (statistically, maybe because they are a bit more difficult to use) less reliable, and I never had any problems with the standard deal, so I don't recomend them unless you really, really need them.

Finally, don't feel embarassed to walk into any store and buy, buy, buy! Shop around, ask the pharmacist questions, talk about it with your parthner, hell, go shopping together, make a day of it! I used to be very shy when shopping for rubbers and such, until recently when I absolutely had to buy them as we ran out completely, so I walked in, not without oopsies, but I walked out of that supermarket with twice as many as I was going to buy, leaving behind a very uncomfortable store clerk. Go with pride!

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icy_gal
Neophyte
Member # 20584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icy_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Crimson! I really appreciate that! I will walk in WITH PRIDE... because I know I'm being safe. Later.
Posts: 22 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.