Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Latex-safe Lubricant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Latex-safe Lubricant?
FadingEndlessly
Activist
Member # 18674

Icon 2 posted      Profile for FadingEndlessly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which lubricants are latex-safe?

Thanks.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver1381
Activist
Member # 18771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver1381     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically any lubricant that is water-based is safe to use with latex. Some brands of water-based lubricants are Astroglide and Liquid Silk. Avoid oil-based lubricants because they tend to break down the latex.

I hope that answers your question.

[This message has been edited by Silver1381 (edited 10-04-2004).]

Posts: 123 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Liquid Silk! The trouble is I think it is mostly sold by specialty stores whereas astroglide is pretty available where condoms are sold. Lately most of my shopping has been done through the nice folks at GV, so I have not been down the condom isle for some time.

What is surprising is the list of whats not OK.

Edible plant oils, like corn, nut and olive oil, coconut butter/oil, fish oil (!),
mineral oil, baby oil, and some specialty sexual lubes, like elbow grease & shaft. These last two used to be true, I am not sure if they have changed the formula or not.

Ready for the surprise unsafe list?

Some medicated vaginal creams, like monistat, estrace, femstat, vagisil, premarin.

Who would have thought it? I wonder if the package notes that they are not condom safe, especially since monostat and others are usually used at bedtime.

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la_fileuse
Neophyte
Member # 12773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la_fileuse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My grocery store's generic yeast infection treatment indicates that the vaginal suppository is oil based and can damage condoms, so I'm pretty sure that Monistat does as well.
Posts: 20 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also be surprised if women who are using yeast infection treatments are having sex during the treatment period. Most ointments/medications recommend that you abstain from sexual activity until the infection has cleared up; we certainly recommend that here at ST as well.
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.