Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » NEW anal sex issues??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW anal sex issues??
MistyMay
Neophyte
Member # 94743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MistyMay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, my boyfriend is very very into anal play, and so was I.. I got used to it, and it was very pleasurable for me.

However, back in December, something went wrong down there. I started having itching, and when I looked up the symptoms it sounded like a hemorrhoid, but didn't seem painful enough to be an anal fissure. After being careful, it stopped being uncomfortable after a week or so.

But now, although I never have itching or pain on a daily basis or during bowel movements, it BURNS during anal sex!

I've never had this problem before, and it's literally only when we engage in anal play. I don't know what to do! I really want to get back in the swing of things. I don't even know who to go to to get medical advice. My obgyn? Someone else? Please help!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MistyMay
Neophyte
Member # 94743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MistyMay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I know it's not an infection because I took antibiotics for a UTI recently, which should have cleared up other things, right? .. Plus, there's no residue, or anything like that, or bleeding. Also, I can't see any visible cues near the entrance.. sorry for being graphic!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antibiotics don't automatically clear up every infection present in the body. Many antibiotics treat only specific conditions. So, I'd not assume that you are free of infection at this point.

I'd say that it's time for a visit with your doctor. Your general practitioner is a good place to start.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9010 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no, sulfa antibiotics for a UTI are very specifically for urinary issues. Those antibiotics aren't broad-spectrum like, say, penicillin.

Have you yet seen a sexual healthcare provider about this? And yep, an OB/GYN is a perfect choice.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67084 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MistyMay
Neophyte
Member # 94743

When I went there for other issues I mentioned I thought I had a problem, but she said she didn't see anything to alarm her. Do they do rectal exams?

I don't have a general practitioner, but I see my obgyn fairly often for other things... So I'd be most comfortable with her. I'm kind of embarrassed to tell the front desk secretary what I need to be seen for..

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DID she do a rectal exam when you had that issue? And you were clear about the symptoms you were having, and also honest about engaging in anal sex?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67084 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MistyMay
Neophyte
Member # 94743

I've never had a rectal exam before. My obgyn never mentioned having one. This was before I realized I was having burning during anal sex. I told her about the symptoms I had and said it felt cleared up, but wanted to make sure it really was. She didn't do an exam, and said she didn't see anything on the outside that would make her alarmed and if it felt cleared up, it probably was.
Heather
Member # 3

So, sounds like you need to go back in, since you're clearly still having issues, and it doesn't appear they were investigated.

I'd also make sure, while you're there, to get current with any STI tests you aren't up-to-date with, especially if any of the anal sex you've had has been unprotected.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MistyMay
Neophyte
Member # 94743

All my tests are up to date, so there's no need to do that. I'm afraid they're just going to tell me to stop having anal and leave it at that, considering the issue isn't effecting my overall health, and isn't a "necessity" like vaginal.

Will an obgyn do a rectal exam? I don't want to go in and have them tell me I need to go somewhere else.

Heather
Member # 3

It would be highly unprofessional for any sexual healthcare provider to tell a patient they feel any one kind of sex is "necessary" and another isn't. I know those kinds of attitudes are culturally pervasive, but that's not the kind of conversation anyone should hear from a reputable sexual healthcare provider (nor is how a sound sexual healthcare provider will even think about that).

As well, telling a patient to just not have a given kind of sex without first investigating why they're experiencing what they are with it per troubling physical symptoms would also be very poor healthcare.

Yes, an OB/GYN is trained to do and can do a rectal exam.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MistyMay
Neophyte
Member # 94743

Thank you very much for the information, I'll be sure to set up an appointment soon! Hopefully they can fix me.
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. If when you go, they don't find anything physically wrong, feel free to swing back here, and we can help you troubleshoot from there.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.