Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » shaving with an electric razor, but not quite..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shaving with an electric razor, but not quite..
precious_soul
Neophyte
Member # 6669

Icon 9 posted      Profile for precious_soul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know one of the biggest topics is shaving, but my topic is slightly different, and I did use the search function but didn't really come up with anything I was looking for.

I used an electric razor to shave off most of the hair before I went on to use a disposable razor to do the actual shaving. After using the electric razor, I guess I had about a little less than 0.5cm of hair in length, but I didn't have enough time to do the complete shaving with the razor blade, so I was going to save that for the next few days to come as I'm quite busy with school, work, midterms, etc...

Anyway, I didn't bother shaving with the razor blade, but thats because at first, I noticed there was a bump with an ingrown hair. and then now, 2 or 3 weeks later when I still haven't used the blade yet (basically just the electric razor), i've got a couple more bumps (5-8). They're NOT ingrown hairs, but just bumps with hair coming out, where i can also see EXTREMELY SHORT hair beginning to grow out of the same hair follicle.

Anyone know the answer to why this is happening? it was a close shave with an electric razor, but i know I didnt cut anything beneath the skin, and I didnt even use razor blade. and why is there 2 hairs coming out of the inflamed follicles????

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
precious_soul
Neophyte
Member # 6669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for precious_soul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the problem isn't occuring down near the vaginal area, but on the upper part, right on/above the pubic bone..
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debby_h
Neophyte
Member # 8003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debby_h     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible that there is some irritation, maybe the hairs were pulled in an unpleasant way? If it gets unbearably itching, perhaps an ice pack would be helpful until you can get a gyn or derm's advice.
Debby

Posts: 21 | From: Bloomington, IN USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean, and I have it too:

Hair follicles produce one hair at a time, one hair per follicle. If you look at how hair is formed, you'll see it's impossible for more than one hair to grow at a time out of a follicle - it's pushing the dead protein/hair cells up, which makes the "hair." HOWEVER, follicles can be close to each other.

I'm a nutty person who has been known to pluck her bikini line and her knees, because it's less painful than shaving them, and I've noticed when I get up close and personal with my hairs that I often see two hairs growing out of what looks like the same place both in healthy areas and inflamed areas.

My layperson's guess is that your skin's a little irritated, but it doesn't have anything to do with these twin hairs. ;]

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.