Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » i dont see why

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i dont see why
miss ashli
Activist
Member # 5255

Icon 7 posted      Profile for miss ashli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, i was reading over the pregnacy risk chart and yeah, i have heard that no birth control is totally and %100 effective.. And i jus wanted to ask.. why?? I mean, if you use a condom, and you have no problems with it.. it doesnt slide off, or break or anything, why do you still have a low chance of getting pregnate? Well.. jus wondering. Perhaps some one could help me...?

------------------
*~*~*Ash*~*~*

Posts: 100 | From: US of A | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no birth control (except for abstinence, and by abstinence I mean refraining from engaging in any kind of sexual activity that carries even the slightest risk for pregnancy) is perfect.

Condoms might have a hole in them that you didn't notice until after the fact, for example. Birth control pills can be rendered ineffective if you forget to take them at the right time or if you are taking other medications that interfere with them, or if you have an undiagnosed condition or illness that interferes with the pill's effectiveness.

If a condom or another birth control method is used correctly, as you describe, the chances for pregnancy (and STD transmission, in the case of condoms) is much lower. However, since no one's perfect and no birth control device is, there's always a chance.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It means that not over an individual time, but over a given time period.

Por ejemplo: If you use condoms as your birth control method for a year, you have -- chance of getting pregnant within that year.

It's not saying that even if it doesn't slip and everything goes great that there's still a chance you'll get pregnant. It allows for user error and product flaws.

Capisce?

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miss ashli
Activist
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miss ashli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, lemme try to get this straight. It means that if everytime you have sex you use a condomS for a yr, then you have a chance in that YR.... it doesnt jus mean that you have a chance every individual time you use a condom

------------------
*~*~*Ash*~*~*

Posts: 100 | From: US of A | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broken_wishbone
Activist
Member # 1569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broken_wishbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the two tie in together. Let's say, hypothetically, that seatbelts were not 100% effective in car accidents. Out of every 100 wrecks, they only worked 97 times. So, everytime you wear one when you drive, you've got that 3% chance that if you get in an accident, it won't work. That doesn't mean it absolutely won't work, or will work, if you use it more of if you use it less. However, you're still putting yourself at greater risk of getting hurt if you NEVER wear your seat belt. Does that help any?

------------------
Imagine what my body would sound like, slamming against those rocks. When it lands will my eyes be closed or open?

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but wishbone, that's not what the birth control statistics mean, to the best of my understanding.

to use your example, the way the ortho tri-cyclen pamphlet explains it says that if you use a seatbelt for a year, there is a 3% chance that that seatbelt will fail at least once during that year.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey
Activist
Member # 5304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms aren't 100% effective simply because of quantum probability. A sperm might teleport or something. :P

Of course there are many other reasons, like breakages, microscopic holes, factory defects, etc. But you definitely can't rule out quantum probability.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.