Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Smell

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smell
Christine
Neophyte
Member # 4565

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Christine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, i know this is a really really stupid question, but i have a problem with my physical smell. First off im not talking about my vaginal scent, but just my smell in general. I dont feel like wearing purfume so id appreciate it if someone could tell me if theres some kind of soap or shampoo thats really good? I've tried a lot, but the scent doesnt really stay. Thanks a lot and once again i apologize for the insane stupidity of this question.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not stupid

The important part is to remember to keep clean ... Hygiene is really important. Showering at least once a day (maybe two if you have PE or something) is a must. If you have sensitive skin, using soaps like Dove and Ivory are good b/c they don't use perfumes (i don't think ...). And deodorant is a must too. Other than that ... I really don't know where this smell could be coming from. You know each person gives off their own natural smell right ... ?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Dove soap's fragranced, some isn't. Go for the blue or green kind and you should be fine. I find that my own scent varies by my general health. I usually don't mind myself at all, but when I'm sick, I don't like how I smell. However, I tend to notice smells a lot more than most people, and I think we generally tend to be a lot more aware of our own odours than those of others.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also should think about your diet, if you eat different things you will smell differently. Like if you eat and drink alot of things that are hard on your body you won't smell as good. Like junkfood, meat, coffee, alchol, and some other stuff. Also smoking won't help.

The best thing to do is stick to a healthy balanced diet, shower regularly, use deoderant and drink lots of water.

Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like this is bugging you a lot. I'd recommend the things that those above have said (frequent showering, a good mild soap) but I'd like to add the following.

Everybody does have a natural body smell, and as Duff mentioned, it has a lot to do with what you eat and what other substances go into and onto your body. Don't feel like you *have* to use a deodorant if you don't want to, but if your scent bothers you, it might make you feel more comfortable. If you choose one with an antiperspirant (it'll say on the label) it will also help you to not sweat as much. However, applying these chemicals to your body every day can be irritating, and some of us don't find it pleasant at all. It's sort of a trade-off.

(And by the way, Christine, it's not a stupid question at all.)

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Aiyiyi, I'm your little butterfly/Green, black, and blue make the colors in the sky..." --Smile.DK, "Butterfly"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.