Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Can you have sex on your period???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you have sex on your period???
angel03
Neophyte
Member # 4468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angel03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean i know you can but i wanted to know, if you were to have sex (no condom) while you were on your period...would/could you get pregnant??? Because i want to be able to let my b-friend go with out a condom, but we are both terrified of me getting pregnant.
HELP ME,PLEASE!!....thanks, LOve ya

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you can get pregnant on your period. Also I dont advise that you have sex without a condom when you are on your period either. The chance of getting an STD is greater than if you werent on your period because of the blood involved. So DO WEAR A CONDOM!!

Here, read this artical on human reproduction, it will help you: http://www.scarleteen.com/reproduction/pregnancy.html

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 07-06-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're both "terrified" of getting pregnant then why would you even think of having sex without a condom?

Use a condom. Having sex during your period doesn't reduce your risks of pregnancy. Young girl's menstrual cycles are funky. Who know's when you ovulate, maybe during your period, maybe twice a month. Trying to pinpoint the "safe" days is a bad idea.

Not only that, think of all the extra bodily fluids. More blood, more risk of STD transmission. Now really, doesn't a condom make sense? Yeppers.

Read up. In addition to the article glitter gave you, check out:
The menstrual cycle

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet_angel_baby13
Neophyte
Member # 4481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet_angel_baby13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup u can there is like a 110% chance ( being sarcastic) but i learned in sex ed that there is a really really big chance of getting pregnant and getting an STD!!
Posts: 3 | From: Quebec Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes you can. your body can force itself to release an egg, even during your period in order to get pregnant. it's almost like it can sense if you had sex and there is sperm floating around inside of you (to explain it simply).
Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should correct myself on that. Actually, it's more like even though you're bleeding, your body can still force itself to release an ovary. Pretty much any time you have sex you can get pregnant (unless you've had your tubes tied or ovarian cancer surgery).
Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbird:
I should correct myself on that. Actually, it's more like even though you're bleeding, your body can still force itself to release an ovary.

I'd be pretty worried if my body did that!

You might want to go here and brush up on your anatomical knowledge

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yipes! Quick misinformation fix here.

Your body cannot ovulate prematurely simply because sperm have entered your system. Ovulation and fertility isn't an instantaneous proess, but a monthly one that involves a very specific and exacting necessaity of certain hormonal shifts and the like.

What CAN happen is that since sperm can live as long as seven days inside the female body, it can survive long enough to fertilize an egg that will be available AFTER menses in women with shorter ovulation cycles.

And indeed, unprotected sex during menses offers a higher disease and infection risk. There is no perk in "letting" someone not use a condom. Really, it's different, not better or worse, when you know how to use them, and if you're both mature and responsible enough to be sexually active, you're mature and responsible enough to value one another's lives and health. It's no small thing, and the very LEAST anyone should expect from a partner.

In other words, how would you react of a partner said "Hey, can we do something I'm curious about and think might feel good for five minutes, even though it could ruin your life, your health, kill you, or leave you with a child which I probably won't take care of or help you manage at all?" Because that's essentially the deal here.

Yikes. No good. Play safe, or wait to play until you can play safely.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Yeah, it's been quite some time since my doctor explained it to me, and I forgot what exactly he had said, but as I was thinking about it, it started slowly coming back to me. I know that sperm can live within the body for seven days.

And hey..I'm trying to correct my mistake..give me some credit for that. Thanks for the info Miz Scarlet
[This message has been edited by blackbird (edited 07-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by blackbird (edited 07-11-2001).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.