Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Other Options?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Other Options?
Sweet Girl
Neophyte
Member # 3258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I'm not currently sexually active, I was wondering if there are any other options as to what I can do for birth control, because my doctor won't let me go on birth control pills or depo-provera cause I guess I'm high risk for alot of the health risk. So does this restrict me for what my options are, or is there different options?
Posts: 19 | From: Somewhere in the USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you're at risk for BC pills and depo, norplant probably isn't an option either.

There really is nothing wrong w/ using just condoms and lubrication, ya know. On top of which, you can keep track of your menstrual cycle and stay away from sexual activity. The chances of you getting pregnant w/ both of these are very slim.

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you look into getting a diaphragm?
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Rizzo said - if hormonal methods aren't possible, how about a barrier method, such as the diaphragm, cervical cap or lea shield?

If you team these up with condoms, these are very good, very safe methods, too.
As is charting your cycle, always using condoms and abstaining from all preocreative sex on your most fertile days.

Why don't you schedule an appointment at a sexual health clinic or your doctor to discuss other contraceptive choices for you so that you know what there is and can go through the pros and cons with someone who knows lots about everything that's out there.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Well, I'm at an extremely high risk for blood clots, so I can't take the pill. However, I can take depo at a relatively low risk.

You might want to check out combinations of mini pills that have low levels of certain hormones. Just remember, there's nothing wrong with....CONDOMS! They're easy to use, portable, and there's no mess involved! Do I sound like an infomercial or what? Remember to use a great lube, like astroglide, or even ky jelly if that's what you like. You can double up with a spermicide (as long as you have tried it before and know it won't irritate you) or a diaphram..or you might look into IUDs. Interuterine devices can be put in your uterus by a doctor and essentially prevent a baby from developing. Just head on over to the gyn or Planned Parenthood for more options, or check out ST!

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a note, IUDs are rarely reccoemended for women who have not given birth before, and they are not suggested at all for young women.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered why IUDs lost popularity (or were banned) in Europe and the US. Thanks for telling me, Miz Scarlet!
Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, they have never been suggested for young women.

But they lost popularity because one type of IUD, the Dalkon Shield, caused massive health problems (including PID and permanent infertility) in scads of women years and years back.

The never IUDs are apparently much safer, but IUDs in general are still not suggested for younger women (those under 25), or for women who have not given birth. IUDs can also increase the risks of HIV transmission, it increases the risk of PID and vaginal infections, and can perforate the uterus. IUDs generally cause heavier periods with more crramping. It is also not advised for women who may want to have children in the future, as due to PID, it can lead to infertility.

Really, an IUD is not a method -- even with improvements in the last few years -- I suggest to anyone in terms of birth control.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.