Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sexual Mythology (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sexual Mythology
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are some myths and old wives tales you've heard about sex? We hear a good many of them around here, and sometimes it's a good idea to get'em out there for discussion since we may not all *know* they are myths.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A notorious myth that doesn't seem to go away is that you can not get pregnant the first time you have sexual intercourse. Not true! A very good friend of mine did. Poof! Myth has vanished.
Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good one.

To counter that one witha fact, statistically the time most women get pregnant is within the first six months of having sexual intercourse.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most amazing myth I've ever read was right here on the boards...the sexpert one to be exact. Some poor young soul was a tad bit misguided and asked if condoms would provide sufficient protection from STD's and pregnancy. She said that some of her friends said they would and some said they wouldn't...I just could not believe it when I read that, but I heard two girls in my lockerroom talking about why condoms don't protect from anything...so I guess it's more widespread than I thought...

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the myth that i hadnt even considered until i heard it was 'do tampons make u lose ur virginity'? that one sounded extremely bizarre to me.

------------------
u arent worthless if you can make someone laugh
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most common one that people tell me everyday that annoys me so much I want to scream is: sex=intercourse between a man and a woman. GRRRRR!

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you douche with coke, you won't get pregnant.

Wouldn't the sugar make the sperm swim faster? Gee, people!

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about, "I like having sex with girls who are on their period. Then I don't have to use a condom, 'cause I can't get her pregnant"?

I heard that one at the lunch table last year and I choked so hard I almost died. Can you BELIEVE it?

------------------
~lemming

"This was a Pizza Hut, now it's all covered in daisies..." ~Talking Heads, in "Nothing But Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That the length of a girl's nose is the size that her penis would be if she was male. I had someone get mad at me once in high school because I didn't believe that.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Now Beppie, that was is amazing. And to think, all of us who got the Italian nose from my father's side of the family just thought we had a big schnoz. Who knew that we were actually simply well-endowed?
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal faves in the old-wives'-tales contingent:

-- that women cannot get pregnant if they are raped (cruel *and* stupid misinformation, isn't that great...)

-- that no one ever likes fat people sexually
(er, well, I'm living proof that this one isn't true)

-- that women who have never had sex before will be so vaginally narrow that penetration will be difficult (it's not like you hafta drill the hole, ya know?)

-- that you can know whether someone is "the kind of person who would have an STD" by looking at him/her (since about 25% of the population contracts an STD at some point in their lives, how the heck can you tell?)

I think those are my top faves. There are plenty of others that irritate the dickens out of me, though.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the one that says 'if a girl jumps up and down after she has sex, she won't be pregnant'? Or, 'if she stands on her head after she has sex, she definetly WILL get pregnant'? I always thought that those were among the most common.
Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femalepleaser
Activist
Member # 637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Femalepleaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was kinda funny, when I was younger I used to believe that when a man is on top having sex, the female will have a male baby, if the woman is on top she will have a female baby..just thought I would share that.

------------------
If you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life!

Posts: 86 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my favorites are:

-Big hands, big feet, big penis.
-Shoe size divided by two equals length.

Those are so funny. Especially some of the inside jokes..

------------------
Life is short, so let me play!

And play I shall...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. A lot of my, uh, favorites have been hit, but here are a few:

You can tell whether someone has been engaging in sexual activity/is or isn't a "virgin"/is homosexual/is straight by looking at them. Uh, unless they're wearing a sign, no.

Sex that involves penetration means automatic orgasm for everyone!

STDs/unplanned pregnancy happen to other people.

------------------
PHILOSOPHY: Basically, this involves sitting in a room and deciding there
is no such thing as reality and then going to lunch. -- Dave Barry

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, all these guys I know say you can tell if a girl masturbates by the way she walks...considering what, 95% of us do it's hard to be wrong!

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semisane
Neophyte
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semisane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The myth among teens that irritates me most is that guys are ALL cruel and insensitive and that the first time is always wonderful for the guy and awful for the girl.

The sheer level of sexual ignorance among teens disgusts me. You would think that since we talk about it so much most people would be less ignorant...

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta reply to what Mophead said about the Coke and stuff.

okay, i had to laugh a sec 'cause Coke as a contraceptive is just so absurd and preposterous that it's kindafunny. Unfortunate if people actually believe it, though. gullible.

but the logic was a little off. The sugar in Coke is sucrose, which isn't a fuel source for sperm. In fact, sperm don't really even use the fructose in semen, they run on citrate (and ergothionine). And Coke is acidic, so that shouldn't make those li'l guys very happy.

Nonetheless, that doesn't make it a good contraceptive. If it were, it probably wouldn't be sold in the fridge aisle of 711.

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Gumdrop! You go!

quote:
Sex that involves penetration means automatic orgasm for everyone!

*screams*
I hate that one!!!

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you masturbate with anything then you lost your virginity. Or if something is inserted into the vagina (by a doctor or otherwise) they took away your virginity.

And my mom is under the assumption that if i use a tampon then I will have no proof of my virginity....to late...masturbation had already taken care of that. And a hymen proves very little because a lot of girls dont even have them in the first place.

And I just want to comment on something...I was in a conversation with some girlfriends of mine about sex (the health aspects of it) and they were amazed at how much i knew. about it. Most of the time they didnt even believe me. And for some reason it bothered them that I knew so much. Is it just me or is that just screwed up?

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzhead29
Activist
Member # 532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fuzzhead29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is the guy/girl double standards........guy sleeps around, he's a stud, girl sleeps around, she's a slut. You'd think after the sexual revolution of the sixties that wouldn't be considered true in society today, but.............sigh.

------------------
"If you obey all the
rules you miss all the fun."
-Katherine Hepburn

"What if you slept, and
what if in your sleep you dreamed
and what if in your dreams you went
to heaven and there you plucked a
strange and beautiful flower, and
what if when you awoke you had the
flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
-Samuel T. Coleridge

Posts: 50 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LorienMarene
Neophyte
Member # 1455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LorienMarene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my favorite is girls who enjoy sex are whores (religious upbringing), and that oral sex is only something prostitutes give head.

------------------
These people abstain, it is true: but the bitch Sensuality glares enviously out of all they do.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 4 | From: Raton, NM, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
remember in the good old days when people believed that women needed to have children to stay sane? "hysteria" comes from the Greek word for uterus. Barren women supposedly went nuts. i think it's peer pressure, if anything. :P

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tifa528
Activist
Member # 1484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tifa528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother always told my mother to stay away from cows when she was on her period because she would spoil their milk...

Now that's interesting...

All I have to say is, "MOO!"

------------------
Ai,
Jen

Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you have sex for the first time, there WILL be blood. There just will be. And lots of it, or else you weren't really a virgin in the first place.

What gets me is that this is one I've seen here. Guys, if you need to make your girlfriend bleed to prove how macho you are, maybe you should slink off to join the Undead, where you apparently belong.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet chick
Neophyte
Member # 1440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the one that i hate:
People who are gay or bi are sick puppies. That is the wrost one that goes around.

------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world.
Those who make things happen,
Those who watch things happen,
And those who wonder what happened.
Which one are you??

Sweet Chick

Posts: 39 | From: the nose ring of iowa. ( get out a map of the USA and look it up peeps) | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following on from the "penetrative sex always results in orgasm" one, another one I remember from school is the my that a woman has an orgasm every time she has penetrative sex even if she doesn't feel it.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, thank you Beppie.

How about . . .If you don't orgasm with the time/technique your SO allows, you aren't going to, and aren't worth another try. *hissss*

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broken_wishbone
Activist
Member # 1569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broken_wishbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweet chick:

People who are gay or bi are sick puppies.

That, or bisexuals are merely confused and need to pick one side or the other.

Awhile ago I overheard my mom telling my dad she didn't think rape was possible because a girl needs to be properly lubed up for a boy to even get in. I couldn't bring myself to say anything.

Some others: You can get pregnant from oral sex. If a guy pulls out, you can't get pregnant. *Some* girls have hoods over their clits that make it more difficult for them to orgasm. (Let's count how many levels that's wrong on.)

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new one was posted today....

If a girl masturbates she cant have children.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One that gets me: ladies who don't sit with their knees touching are whores.

This isn't physically possible without using a lot of muscle, unless you're SERIOUSLY underweight. Squishing anything vertically will make it expand horizontally! Therefor, thighs get wider than knees and I just don't have the muscle power to pull my knees together for an hour straigh.

Other ways to be 'lady like' include crossing your legs, which is only comfortable for so long, and from certain chair heights

And sitting with your feet 2-2.5 feet apart so that your knees fall together, and looking bow-legged and stupid. Grrr, sometimes church just ain't fun.

Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

You know, about the crossing legs- my mother was told by the nuns at her Catholic school that if a girl crossed her legs it meant that she had "had a man".
Shygurl
Activist
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shygurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the dumbest (I of course assumed myth) the other day. That a sneeze is 1/4 of an orgasms? What is that shnit? In other words sneeze for times and you'll cream. That is so dumb!
Posts: 47 | From: BFE | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Actually, to be a lady, you're supposed to sit with your legs crossed at the ankle. And I can do this, and keep my knees together, but I also tend to be good at yoga -- but I'm not a virgin. Paradox upon paradox.
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Shygurl, that isn't the first time I've heard about a connection between sneezes and orgasms.
I once heard an elder whom I have a good deal of respect for, talking about how the physiology behind sneezes and orgasms is the same. I'm not sure if she was referring to orgasms in general or male ones specifically.
I'm not saying this is a myth, I just thought I'd follow up on your comment with it.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.