Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Does Your Doctor Do His Job...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Your Doctor Do His Job...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...when it comes to talking to you about sex and sexuality issues and health concerns?

This report says that when it comes to teens, most of them don't.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/hs/20001208/hl/docs_not_talking_to_teens_about_sex_3.html

What have your experiences been?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexy1985
Activist
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexy1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all honesty, I haven't seen a doctor since I was 8! So I wouldn't know. But I wouldn't think he would ask anything like that....it be up to me to bring it up I though..hmmm.
Posts: 64 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, i have to say that i'm the odd ball.

When i started having sex my mom made me go to the doctor and find out if i needed to change birth control ... Because i was having break through bleeding and a whole bunch of stuff happening so if we were already going, we might as well bring it up right? So we got into a whole discussion about pelvic tests and PAP smears, because i've never had one and now i have to ... yearly. I was so lost in all of it and she explained to me why it's so important w/o making me feel stupid or that i *had* to do it ... but it would be my choice (and my choice alone) for the good of my health.

And yes, she's a she (hehe that's weird, i know) I have nothing against male doctors, i actually have one (i go to a clinic where my family doctor is and when she's not in, we see him instead) and i go to him for other stuff ... but when it's sex and body parts related, i have to talk to her. She talks to me, not at me ... If that makes any sense. I hope other people have the same experiences w/ their doctors as i've had!! But now, since i've moved, i'm on the hunt for a new one down here so i don't have to go back and forth to Toronto everytime i have the sniffles!

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My doctor covers everything, every single thing you can cover. He even talks to me about being careful when Im driving or walking by myself.

Other doctors I've had were all good too.
I ask a lot of questions when Im in the hospital, like what are you doing? Why are you doing this? Im such a baby when it comes to hospitals. But all my doctors have helped me and answered all my questions!! And they have always gived good answers!

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...

I had some really lousy doctors in the past. They were all so busy informing me that I was fat and that this was Evil and Wrong to even notice or consider that I might be having sex.

But right now I see two faboo people for my health care: my internist for health concerns and managing my pseudo-PCOS/metabolic disorder/whatever it is this week and an NP at Purdue's women's clinic for my gynecological needs.

Both of them have bowls of condoms wrapped with a sheet that has instructions for use in their offices and their waiting rooms, and my NP has lots of pamphlets and booklets lying around about various sex related issues and STDs, so if you're too embarrassed to bring stuff up with them, at the very least you could grab a pamphlet or a condom.

I have ended up bringing up my concerns about my sexual activities and how they might intersect with my health before they have, but in subsequent visits, they have come back to them, mentioning things like "so your STD screen came back negative...did your partner get tested like we were talking about?"

Neither of them have made me feel embarrassed or foolish or acted like "ew, *you* have a sex life?" whenever I've asked them anything, and they've made sure to ask me about birth control methods, medication interacting with my birth control pills, and other concerns. When I've done things like gotten STD screens and HIV testing, theyv'e carefully taken the time to explain what they're testing for, how they're testing for it, what each disease is and how I could have gotten it.

While I think that it's extremely important that doctors bring this up, I'd also like to put a plug in for making sure that you speak up when you're in the office with your doctor, too. It gets easier for me to open my mouth and ask each time I go in there.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.