Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Getting a blowjob

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting a blowjob
Tony
Neophyte
Member # 1904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I get a blowjob without using a condom, what are the chances of me getting some kind of std from her?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got some news for you, Tony:

Sex is a two-way street. If you are not at least as concerned about what *you* might transmit to a partner, or your *partner's* chances of getting something from you, keep your pants zipped. Seriously.

That said, your liability for catching an STD from a partner when you are *receiving* unprotected oral sex depends entirely on what kinds of STDs your partner might have been exposed to. If your partner had chlamydia in the throat (fairly common, and people usually never know they have it), or herpes (cold sores) on the mouth or lips, your chances of getting an STD are pretty damned good, actually.

Thing is... chlamydia is called 'the silent STD' for a reason. Most folks who get it never know it until it's caused enough scarring and damage that they have other significant health problems. And herpes isn't always visually identifiable, either, even though we usually think of oral herpes as cold sores. The skin where a lesion is about to occur, with oral herpes, can start shedding active viruses well before a lesion actually develops, so it's very possible to get herpes from someone who doesn't look like they have it.

What's the moral of the story? Simply put, that YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHETHER A PARTNER HAS AN STD unless you have been monogamously partnered with that person and you have both been tested clear for all STDs at least twice, at six-month intervals.

That's the long and short of it.

And since you don't know whether a given partner may or may not have an STD, you simply have no idea whether or not the next mouth you want to put your penis in is going to be the one that's going to be infected with something you'd rather not catch. I can assure you that your partner would also rather not catch whatever *you* might have been exposed to, too, so why not protect both of you?

Wear a condom, already. It's a no-brainer.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.