Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Is lubracant really nessesary?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is lubracant really nessesary?
moonbeam
Activist
Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonbeam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to sound odd but b4 coming here id never heard of lubracant being used in sex or mastrubating a partner except in anal sex. The question that puzzles me is , Is lubracant really nescessary? I mean condoms ive seen are already lubracated so why?
Also although i can usually talk to my bf openly i would just be a bit embaressed to mention that as we've managed fine without it in the past.

Posts: 84 | From: Ireland.uk | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms generally have just barely enough lubricant to help keep the condom from breaking *initially.*

It usually isn't enough lubricant to ensure that it keeps from breaking or tearing THROUGHOUT intercourse, nor that it is comforttable for the woman and man.

If a woman is highly aroused in a stage in her cycle where she is fertile, her own lubrication is usually enough for comfortable intercourse. However, that doesn't factor in latex. As well, during infertile times in a woman's cycle, her vaginal mucus is generally thicker and more dry, and she doesn't produce as much of the sort of natural lubrication needed for comfortable intercourse, especially with a condom.

So, I think it is necessary, especially when it comes to making sure that your condom stays intact. The failure rate of condoms is really because of misuse: not using them from start to finish, and not keeping them lubricated enough during their use so they don't break. When ppeople do those things, they're nearly foolproof.

In addition, given a choice between any sex with lubricant and sex without, as far as pleasure and comfort, it'd be an easy choice for me. Just yesterday, I made a new order for us and bought four different types, so if you've any doubt I think it's necessary, there's your answer.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonbeam
Activist
Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonbeam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Miz s, just in addition to this how do you actually use the stuff i dont mean to sound stupid but id just like to know how to do it correctly. Also any ideas on how to introduce this to my bf?
Posts: 84 | From: Ireland.uk | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty simple when it all comes down to it.

Personally, I like Astroglide best of all the lubes out there.

When he's putting on a condom, have him put a couple drops inside the condom before he puts it on. That's going to help with sensitivity on his part.

When he has his condom on (or before, up to you) put a few more drops (roughly half a teaspoon on average) in your hand or his, and rub it gently onto and around your vaginal opening and vulva. Either of you can do this, but it's a nice way to introduce the idea of lube in a fun way, since massaging your vulva is great foreplay anyhow.

Is that it? I'm so brain dead today.

Oh, if the lube dries out, you can either use a little bit more, or re-activate what you have already with a few drops of water.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess_Sarah
Neophyte
Member # 1136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Princess_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to only use water-based lubes! That means no Vaseline, veggie oils, or even butter. If you can't find Astroglide [which I hear is fantastic], you can get K-Y jelly from a drugstore for pretty cheap.

Too da loo,
Princess Sarah

Posts: 14 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm with miz scarlet with the astroglide. i've tried others, and they've all sucked in one way or another. Like KY Jelly. it dries up and makes these nasty, sticky black pills -- incredibly messy! the only drawback of Astroglide is that because it doesn't evaporate as fast, the wet blotches on the sheets stay there for a while. and though it's not an unpleasant scent, the odor lingersi n a small room.

if you want to get your guy to use lube, try using a more "playful" approach. sort of "hey sweetie, i think it'd be fun if we tried this."

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.