Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Is It Necessary?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is It Necessary?
SugarVixen
Neophyte
Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SugarVixen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are engaging in sexual activity (but not sexual intercourse) with someone, and that person is the only person you've had sexual contact with (and you're the only person they've had sexual contact with) and neither you or that person got any diseases from your mom when you was born (you know, from birth).........is it absolutely necessary to use protection while performing these sexual activities (not sexual intercourse)? I've always wanted to know this just because I am curious, but I never found a place to ask it. I mean, if neither person has an STD, do they have to use protection?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys make me nutes sometimes. Really. I know that's blunt, but it's true.

No one HAS to do anything. As of the current date, unless you KNOW you have a disease, no one can sue you if you give them something, and there are no laws that say you have to protect yourself. Assessing your own risk, your partners, and the risk you both pose to the rest of the world is your call, and your call only.

However, unless both people have been tested and are, by at least two tests, STD-free, and all through that time and after have no real contact with the world period (not all STDs are sexuall transmitted), I couldn't possibly say there is no risk. is there a low risk? Sure. But there is always a risk.

Look: you're going to have to use a condom at some point in your life, unless the person you are with is the only person you are EVER with (on lots of levels) and vice-versa, and that so rarely happens, it's hardly worth discussing. Condoms are easy to use, they make parts of sex better than without one, they make near any other birth control method close to 100% effective, and they're simply the responsible thing to do. To be frank, if you're trying to make ecuses this early in the game, my call is you aren't ready to be having sex, end of story. Again, I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

basically, as far as I'm concerned, if I, for instance, hadn't played as safely as I have most of my life, I would have essentially upped everyone else's risk of disease I've known in my life, including you guys. If I thought that was the case, I'd be pretty dissapointed in myself.

Only you can assess your own level of risk, as nothing in life is risk-free. However, I'd advise you to think about why you want to take risks you don't have to, especially when safeguarding agaainst them doesn't do anything to lessen or worsen your experience.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.