Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth Control Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Pill
*ShellerBabe*
Activist
Member # 252

Icon 5 posted      Profile for *ShellerBabe*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it true that you can get breast cancer, or gain weight from taking them to regulate your period? I think its bull****, but my mom told me(maybe she just is freaked that im asking my doctor for them)
Posts: 117 | From: America..~*hehe*~ | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know when you first start, you gain like 5 pounds of water, and then lose it.

------------------
MASTURBATING IS NOT A CRIME

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When thinking about the risks or side effects of the Pill, please remeber that the Pill is quite safe when compared to the risks involved in preganacy, childbirth, espeically if you are young. The Pill isn't for everyone, but if you are under 30, don't smoke and don't have a history of bloodclots, heart problems, you should be fine. Research has not shown a connection between the Pill and breast cancer.

That said here are some of the side effects sometimes associated with the Pill.

-nausea
-weight gain
-breast tenderness
-headaches
-spotting between periods
-irratibility

These may be caused by the particular formulation of the Pill you are taking and may be improved if you switch to another brand. Your doctor can help you figure that out.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.