Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » another question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: another question
MelXLuvsXSkittles
Neophyte
Member # 12972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelXLuvsXSkittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a b/f, and we have sex. I sued to be on bc, not anymore and we sue condoms, WE both wnated to have sex ( unprotected, ya i know)with nothing, to see what its like, then the next day i would take ec. Is that safe?and would it work?.
and what would the symptoms or w/e be from taking it.

------------------
~*Melissa*~

Posts: 29 | From: Palm Harbor, Florida, U.S | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) or morning after pill is NOT a form of birth control, and should never be used as such. If you want to have intercourse with your boyfriend without a condom, you need to at least be using another form of birth control (e.g the pill) - and even then, don't forget that pregnancy is not the only risk when having unprotected sex. You could be contracting or passing on any of the following STD's:

• Bacterial Vaginosis
  • Chlamydia
  • Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
  • Gonorrhea
  • Hepatitis B
  • Herpes Simplex
  • Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
  • Human Papilloma Virus (HPV, Warts)
  • Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
  • Pubic Lice
  • Scabies
  • Syphilis
  • Trichomoniasis

Be safe, use a condom, and get both yourself and your partner STD tested on a regular basis. Keeping yourself and your partner safe is part of being a responsible sexually active person. Check out the following articles from the main site:

Margaret Sanger’s Disneyland - An easy chart of your birth control options
A Quickie STD/STI Risk Assessment
Ready or Not? –The Readiness Checklist
Testing, Testing…

[This message has been edited by entropie (edited 05-09-2003).]

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelXLuvsXSkittles
Neophyte
Member # 12972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelXLuvsXSkittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of us have no stds, but we wanted to try unprotected sex just once. then iwould take ec the next day. just nme time. would that be bad?

------------------
~*Melissa*~

Posts: 29 | From: Palm Harbor, Florida, U.S | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know that you have no STD's? Remember that some STD's can be transmitted by non-sexual means (skin to skin contact, from the mother during pregnancy), so even if you were both virgins, you cannot be sure unless you have had two full clear STD screens 6 months apart and are in a monogamous relationship.

With that taken into account, the ECP is not (as I mentioned above) a form of birth control. From the page on Emergency Contraception I listed above:

quote:
Side effects of ECPs can include nausea, vomiting, fatigue, headache, dizziness, and breast tenderness.

I suggest you read the articles I linked to above, especially the Readiness Checklist. The ECP is not 100% effective, and unless you are fully prepared for any possible consequences that may arise from having sex, such as becoming pregnant, or contracting and STD, then perhaps you should be reassessing whether you are ready to be having sex?

[This message has been edited by entropie (edited 05-10-2003).]

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ECP is only available through doctors (GP's), gynecologists and other medical clinics (including sexual health clinics). Again, from the page on the main site about ECP:

quote:
The cost of ECPs will depend on where you obtain them. Many clinics offer a sliding scale, and some clinics will even provide them for free. The average cost is usually between $25 and $50, but this can vary widely depending on where you go.

Do you have a clinic (doctor or otherwise) that you can get to within 72 hours? Do you have enough money to pay for ECP's (plus a consultation if necessary)? Do you have transport to get you to and from a clinic, not to mention the time the visit will take? Do you and your partner have a backup plan should the ECP not be effective?

Doesn't that seem like a whole lot of time and effort for something which is avoidable?

The time and money you spend getting a ECP's could be much better spent having a full consultation with a doctor or gyne who can give you better and ongoing options for birth control.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.