Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control
Celise
Activist
Member # 196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I am a virgin, but I might have sex with my bf sometime in the future, were not ready yet, but I was just wondering, I heard some people at my school talking about getting birth control pills at the health department, and thats all cool and all, i'm 16 so I can drive and my mom wouldn't have to go with me, but if i went to my regular doctor, would I have to tell them I was on the pill for whatever reason, weither I was going to take other medicines or what. I really don't think my mom would understand that I wanted to take birth control because I was responsible, and she would thik it was irresponsible because I was having sex and she would want to stop me, do you think i could hide it?
Posts: 89 | From: Newton, NC, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent question.

Yes, you will have to tell a doctor or nurse what medications you're on during checkups, including the pill.

I don't think you could hide it, and I don't think you SHOULD hide it. Why not have a talk with your Mom? I know, you're rolling your eyes at me, thinking it's impossbile. But you know, try and count on your hands how many things in your life you have successfully ALWAYS kept hidden from your parents. I'm guessing you still have fingers left. Parents just know this stuff -- they were your age too, once.

I can't think of any parent who would want their child pregnant or diseased. Try and be honest about where you're at, tell her you just want to be prepared when you get there, and she'll probably have a lot of respect for that. I know I do.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falconrose
Neophyte
Member # 151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Falconrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey another thing you might consider (this is what I did)is to get on the pill "for your cramps" or "for your skin." I didn't have a boyfriend when I got on the pill, I was actualy prescribed it for my really bad cramps, and it helped them a lot. My mom was supportive, and she knew that I would be protected from pregnancy once I became sexually active. (Not that you shouldn't use a condom too)
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Miz S, I don't think you should try to hide it. It's better to tell your mom, because if she finds out on her own she might be totally pissed off at you, and even ground you.
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* LAUREN
Neophyte
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted      Profile for * LAUREN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I'm getting on the BC pill pretty soon probably, and I just talked to my Mom about it, and said that in case you didn't already know it, Matt and I are having sex, and I don't want to get pregnant, so could you maybe make an appointment for me to get on the pill, and I had to have a talk with her (really, it's not as bad as it sounds.) and I've got an appointment.

Besides, isn't it better to ask your parents for birth control then tell them that you are pregnant?

------------------
* LAUREN!
I like bright colors.

Posts: 15 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom was really supportive when I got birth control. Actually she was the one who suggested it. I have an irregular period and I first got it to regulate it. At that time I was already sexually active with my boyfriend of 1 year and 3 months. So now I also use it as a protectant too. But I ALWAYS use a condom. I am only 17 and I am still with the guy that I have been dating for quite sometime now and we DO NOT want a child.. So always use a Condom!!

------------------
~*~Katrina~*~

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.