Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pill question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill question
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prettyskittle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I am currently on the last few days of my period and today would normally be the day that I start my next pack of pills. I have just realised that I have run out of pills, so I have reordered them but I won't be able to get them until Monday.

Do I just start taking them from Monday? As I should of taken 4 tablets, hypothetically.

I am not currently sexually active, but I just want to know if it is ok to wait until Monday to start my next pack

Thank you.

--------------------
Smile....

Posts: 30 | From: Uk | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you should start taking the pills as you usually do when your new pack arrives
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prettyskittle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And would I be covered, contraception wise, if I did have sex, once I've started taking my new pack?

As I've obviously had 4 days where I haven't taken a pill and normally would.

--------------------
Smile....

Posts: 30 | From: Uk | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would compromise the contraceptive effectiveness of your pill. You should definitely use a back-up method or not have the kinds of sex that can cause pregnancy for the extra four days once you should've started the new pack, and for the first seven days of your new pack, if you don't want to become pregnant.

For a new pill start, we recommend extending the back-up throughout the first pack to be certain it's reached full effectiveness. Your situation with the 4 extra days is a little non-standard, so I suggest seeing if there's any guidance in the leaflet that comes with your pill pack. The best person to ask who'll be fully informed about your pill is a pharmacist, or the healthcare provider who prescribed it for you.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Obviously as first mentioned in my first post, I was 4 days late starting my new pack due to getting my prescription.

I completed my pack yesterday, however I was going to start my next pack tonight to delay my period as I am going away.

However I have just noticed a bit of spotting in my underwear. Is this just a random bit of spotting as I wouldn't have normally started my period for another few days, and I know it's not my period as I am regular and have not had any cramps etc.

[ 04-15-2014, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: prettyskittle ]

--------------------
Smile....

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting isn't unusual on birth control pills in general, but with a disruption like you just had, where you missed a few pills, it's a little more likely. We can't know exactly what's causing it, but it doesn't sound like a reason for concern.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Thank you.

As I said in my previous post I was going to start taking my next pack to delay my period. I took my first pill of my new pack last night, but is there any point in me continuing it, as I have started my period.

So is it worth me having my 7 day break then continuing my pack?

--------------------
Smile....

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you don't want to jump around like that, so once you skip the placebo week, then start the new pack of active pills, you want to see all the active pills through.

Otherwise, you can compromise the effectiveness of your pills.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

So is it worth me continuing the pack I started yesterday, even though I'm either starting my period or spotting?

--------------------
Smile....

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to be sure your pill will be fully effective in the next cycle, yes.

You never want to shorten the active pill period with a pill. So, even taking one of the next pack, then taking the week-long break? That's shortening it, and it can potentially make your pill less effective in the next cycle.

When people try and suppress periods like this, they will often still have spotting, just so you know for now and the future.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Ok thank you.

It was just a bit confusing as I had thought I'd started my period (after the disruption last month) and wanting to skip my placebo week and then because I had cramps and spotting, I wasn't sure if I could still continue taking the pill.

So it is ok to take my pill even if I am starting my period rather than spotting?

--------------------
Smile....

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, even if this turns out to be your period, it is OK (and, as Heather said, advised) to continue taking the pack you started.
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

This is still in reference to my original post.

I had to wait 4 days for my pills from the doctor last month so there was a 4 day delay in my starting my pack, I then started my next pack hoping to skip my pill free week and ultimately my period.

However after 2 days of my new pack I had cramps and started what I thought was my period.

Its been about a week and I have continued to take my pills as advised however I haven't fully had a period, no blood, just brown discharge every day, that you get normally for the first day of your period.

Is this because I had an interruption to my pill taking?

Because I have been getting up in the morning with cramps and obviously not having a proper period, because normally after a week I would be nearly finished my period.

--------------------
Smile....

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both missing pills and trying to skip the withdrawal bleed by taking two packs back to back can cause spotting and irregular bleeding. So either one of those, or a combination of the two, it likely what is causing this irregular bleeding. The best thing you can do is just to keep taking the pill as directed.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Sorry to post again but I'm still a bit concerned as I am still getting some spotting (brown discharge) sorry for the TMI! After nearly 2 weeks.

I have a couple of days of my pills for this month left to take and then I will obviously have a pill free week. Do you think the breakthrough bleeding will stop by then or will I have a period again next week?

I'm just concerned as I'm normally so regular with my period and I didn't think a 4 day delay in my pill last month would affect it this much. But I'm having the discharge every day for nearly 2 weeks, and it is like what you normally get at the start of your period.

I am not currently sexually active so I'm not concerned about it being an infection etc

Am I worrying over nothing? Thank you in advance

--------------------
Smile....

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Hi PrettySkittle

There isn't really a way for us to say when the breakthrough bleeding will stop, or what your period will be like. However, if you're concerned about how long the spotting has been going on, you can always check in with a healthcare provider just to rule out any other causes

If you've been sexually active in the past (even if you're not currently) are you up to date on your STI tests?

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(edit- oops, cross-posted with Sam)

It also sounds like you skipped your placebo week right before you started your current pill pack. That can typically cause some spotting. Given that skipped placebo week and the four extra days without pills before, your pill-taking schedule has obviously been a bit disrupted, so I'm not seeing a particular cause for concern about the spotting this month. I'd just wait for it to sort itself out into your next pack.

We can't really know what will happen with your period this pill-free week - you'll just to see what your body does [Smile]

That said, obviously if you get weird-smelling discharge or if spotting continues through your next pack, then it would a good idea to get checked by a healthcare provider, particularly if you've ever been sexually active, even if you're not at the moment.

[ 04-29-2014, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

In reference to my last few messages.

I decided to wait until I had stopped my period/breakthrough bleeding before starting my pills again, as I spoke to my pharmacist and they advised not taking any other pills until this irregular period had finished.

The bleeding stopped and I started my new pack of pills on Thursday of this week, I just wanted to ask how long it would be until I'm covered for any pregnancy risk.

I always use condoms as well so I am protected but I wanted to know how long I need to take my pills for until I am covered? Is it the whole pack?

As I am just wondering if I have sex am I going to be at any risk of pregnancy due to the disruption of my pill taking?

Thank you.

--------------------
Smile....

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll want to back up with condoms for at least the first 7 days on this new pack.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.