Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » clarification (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: clarification
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaleyA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, I've read your posts on dry humping and stuff like that and i know that they say no risk, but some of the answers in this section say that if semen soaked all the way through there would be risk, I'm wondering if it was just because they were from 2005-2008? because the more recent ones from 2013-2014 say that any semen soaking through was accounted for in the risk assessment, and that as long as there was one layer of clothing, even underwear only, that the risk was zero even if ejaculate had soaked through. am i correct on this? it just confuses me a lot when the questions i find on here are identical and yet the answers aren't the same.

basically, I'm asking because i sat on my boyfriends lap for a while and he was wearing boxers and thin shorts and i was only wearing panties and he had a decent size wet spot from pre ejaculate on his shorts and i sat right on it without noticing till after.. so some might have gotten on my panties. and i didn't take them off right away or anything, so I'm just concerned because some things say different things, and also on the main thread heather wrote about dry humping she says nothing about any fluids getting through which is why I'm asking because i wanted to know if they were taken into account, like if ejaculate soaked through and could cause pregnancy would that be stated on there? thank you so much sorry this is so lengthy

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Haley,

Yes, we take fluids into account when describing dry humping risk. My guess as to why you were seeing conflicting info is that we received updated information in the recent years that lead us to change how we describe the risk of dry humping. So, the behavior you describe has no risk, especially since there were multiple layers of clothing involved.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaleyA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay thank you so much, i tend to over analyze things, but i figured that was why there was a difference!!
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome [Smile]
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

so even if the pre ejaculate from his pants soaked through my panties and i didn't take them off for a few hours there is still zero risk?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

yep, that's correct.
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

okay thanks! you guys are awesome [Smile]
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

so, I'm sorry for asking another question, i know its probably dumb, but what if something like this happened where my boyfriend only had on mesh shorts and i had on super thin underwear like basically no underwear and we were "spooning" like there could have been a chance that his ejaculate had soaked through his shorts and gotten on my vulva, is it still no risk. (this is my last question I'm sorry) I'm asking because idk if the only thin shorts and way thinner underwear make a difference
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Sam said before, there is still no risk. Sperm cells are very delicate and they need all their fluids to keep them alive. When they come in contact with fabrics those fluids are lost and the tiny little tails they have break, what makes it impossible for them to survive and do their job.

Here is a great article you can read to get more info about how sperm cells work:

Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?

[ 04-03-2014, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

okay, i was just curious about this, so if a person had a pregnancy risk and then two or three days later they got their period, would that mean that that particular risk would no longer be a risk anymore since they got their period?
I'm asking because i know that sperm can live up to seven days in the female body so if you got your period three days after a risk is then would the sperm that might be in the female still be able to create a pregnancy, or does menstruation mean that any risk even a day before (as long as it is *before* you got your period) would not be a risk anymore?

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Hi Haley,

To answer your question, I am going to quote from this article: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/what_do_you_want_to_know_about_periods_and_sex

"Because a period has you shedding the lining needed for a fertilized egg to implant in, and because around the time a period starts, there usually is not an egg available to be fertilized, it would be very unusual to become pregnant with timing like this. When you get your period after a risk- so long as it comes around the time you expected it and looks and feels like your usual period -- it's usually safe to assume pregnancy did not or is not going to occur from that risk."

HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

so a sperm cell couldn't survive the 7 days if you get your period before the 7 days happens?
I'm just worried because i read on another question that it was possible heres the link from the other question i read http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/029324.html#000000

I'm just asking because I've always heard getting your period means your not pregnant but if this is can happen then thats not true

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

It is not impossible for a pregnancy to occur even if the period happens one or two days after the risk (not several days or weeks after). But, as the article above said, that would be pretty unusual, so if the period comes around when you're expecting it and feels/looks like a period, it's sound to assume pregnancy did not occur.

But, again, in order for this to be anything you'd need to think about, there had to have been an actual risk or pregnancy in the first place.

[ 04-04-2014, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

so several days would be like four days?

I'm freaking out again because the other day i gave my boyfriend oral sex and he came on my stomach but i got some on my hands and i know i wiped my hands on a towel, and then at least an hour passed before i touched my vulva. is an hour enough time for any sperm on my hand to be dead?

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

You should re-read this thread, as it covers the risk levels of all those things you described:
http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/10/t/002611.html#000000

HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

so risk for manual sex is none-so that takes into account any fluids that might have been on hands?
and oral sex is no risk
and so is someone ejaculating on your body.

so i can be sure that after an hour no sperm would have been able to cause pregnancy ?

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Yes, manual sex takes fluids into account.

And, yes, you are correct on all those statements

HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

even the sperm dead after an hour one?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Yes, sperm is really, really fragile. You can read more about that here:
Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?

HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

okay thank you, I'm relieved to know i have no risk no matter when my period is [Smile] !!
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

You're quite welcome
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

can you still ovulate if your on your period? like during your period while your bleeding is it possible to also be ovulating a the same time? I'm just curious
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

also i know its super dumb to bring this up again but I'm honestly just super curious about all this stuff so i was reading the "get with the flow, all about FAM" article and found this quote:
"The ripe and fertile egg runs to the fallopian tubes and waits for its phone to ring. If sperm doesn’t call within 24 hours, the egg dies and is reabsorbed into the body. At this point, for most women, pregnancy is no longer possible during this menstrual cycle. Women only release one or two eggs per cycle within 24 hours of each other. Once those eggs are dead and gone there is nothing that can be fertilized that cycle and therefore no potential for pregnancy."

this makes it seem like it would be *extremely unlikely* for a woman who had sex a few days before her period to be able to get pregnant from that risk, also if your already having pre menstrual symptoms, that would conclude to me that that person had already ovulated for that month rendering pregnancy no longer possible, again I'm just genuinely curious, i know i had no risks.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you have got that exactly right. It would be extremely unlikely.

And no, people cannot ovulate during a period, but some do shortly thereafter. Not most, but some.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

thank you so much heather! all of this stuff really is starting to interest me, i guess its because I'm always so freaked out about everything and then tend to do tons of reading about it haha.

I was just super freaked out about this that happened the other day with the ejaculate on my hands and then touching my vulva after an hour like i said early, but i feel like I'm mostly worried because i feel like i wouldn't be able to tell if i was sure i wasn't pregnant since it was so close to my period coming and like sam said earlier and you said, it can happen but really unlikely, but now that i know you can't ovulate on your period i feel even better because 7 days from that day will have past before my period is over.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if you remain freaked, you take a pregnancy test. It seriously is that simple, and then no one has to wonder.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

well i feel like if i get my period in the next few days i wouldn't need to take a test usually by the time it takes for the 14 days to past so that i could take a test, i either got my period or are not freaked anymore however I'm being stupid because if theres no risk a test would be a waste of time
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

i can't stop thinking about the semen that could have still been on my hands after an hour, i know it was at least an hour before i touched myself, could there in anyway be sperm able to do anything after that time? i had wiped my hands with a towel and driven my car and touched my phone and gotten the mail during that hour.
HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

and also, per the fact that you can't be ovulating while on your period, does that mean that as long as your bleeding, even if your period is almost over, you still can't ovulate while bleeding?
Heather
Member # 3

Honestly, there is nothing we can say to someone this caught in a panic and staying attached to beliefs in things that are not based in fact, like pregnancy happening in this kind of situation. Nothing that will be likely to somehow magically change your thinking and feelings. This many posts into something like this, it is long clear our conversations and the information we are giving are not productive. Obviously.

So, I need to set a limit here and ask that you just take care if yourself right now, without asking us to keep engaging with you around this (especially sine all the information you keep asking for is already right here on the site). I would like to suspend these discussions until you can and do take a test, please.

I hear you saying that is a waste of your time, but honestly, this round and round strikes me as a poor use of your time and energy AND ours, whereas taking a test that answers this question is productive.

[ 04-04-2014, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

why would i need to take a test if all i engaged in was dry sex and manual sex after wiping my hands off and an hour had past? i wouldn't have a risk from those things so i wouldn't need to take a test...
Heather
Member # 3

Why would you need to keep coming here asking us the things you have been if you were not still worried about pregnancy?

You would take a test so you could let this go, and so there could not be any more question in your mind about pregnancy not being a reality for you.

But you get to choose to do that or not, however, my limit still stands. I am not going to keep talking about this nonrisk with you if you are unwilling to do the things you can do for yourself to get this answer.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

the thing is i would also think that the pregnancy test was not accurate, so i think the best thing for me to do is to reassure my self that there was no risk and move on, i will no longer repeatedly ask questions about these no risk situations
Heather
Member # 3

Like I said, these are your choices, but we also get to set limits we need, too. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HaleyA
Activist
Member # 108915

I hope it is okay to post another reply if its good news? haha

okay well here goes anyway (i hope it is okay) i was looking around the site and found this article and i feel like it helped me a TON because its talking about the exact things i was/am worried about and explains why its stupid to worry about that type of stuff, so in light of this, i wanted to clarify with ya'll that this information was still accurate and up to date and that i can trust it. [Smile]

here is the link:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/how_do_you_avoid_getting_pregnant_after_giving_a_handjob_or_oral_sex

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.