Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help please
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scared3593     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on birth control and have been for about 6 or 7 months now, and sometimes I do have a little bit of spotting before I'm off the active pills. However this month, it started 4 days before the placebo week, accompanied with cramps and breast tenderness (that still hasn't gone away). Me and my boyfriend had brief sex two times without a condom this month, but he pulled out far in advance (minutes) before. Is this normal..? Should I be concerned? I never missed a single pill and I took all of them within a couple of hours of each other. The discharge I had was brownish color as usual, not pink as most people describe implantation bleeding.
Posts: 20 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scared3593     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is important to note that he never ejaculated inside of me. I'm not too concerned, I just don't want to think of this as implantation bleeding.
Posts: 20 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there Scared!

Cycles can vary from time to time and is nothing uncommon to experience spotting in the middle of a cycle or 2 days before or after your period. Brown blood just means old blood leaving your body. [Smile]

You say you always take your pills and also use withdrawal succesfully so, you used two contraceptive methods and with that, the chances of pregnancy are really low. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 417 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Even with cramps and tender breasts? Should I still expect a period or could that of been it?
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

The spotting also lasted about 3 days if that changes anything.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you are going to be the expert knowing how usually you feel when you are going to get your period. Cramps and tender breast certainly are quite often symptoms of getting a period but, if what you are trying to ask is if these could be symptoms of pregnancy, let me go ahead and say that if and when pregnancy happens, takes time to even get the "early symptoms" and not just a couple of weeks. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 417 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Not even implantation bleeding? That's what I'm mostly worried about
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Implantation bleeding is actually quite rare. Again, what you are describing here sounds more like your body is just spotting, letting the old blood out. [Smile]

But, by all means, if you are worried, you can always take a pregnancy tests if you think that would ease your mind. Pregnancy tests can be taken -- and accurate -- 14 days after the risk. [Smile]

--------------------

Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Is it possible to of been my "period"? Even though not on the placebos. Reason it may be off is because is just started sports conditioning this month.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Like I said before, menstrual cycles -- even on the pill -- can and often change. So yes, it is possible to have a period -- or withdrawal bleeding -- before your placebos week. [Smile]

(and a change in your routine, like doing more exercise than you were used to before, can impact your cycles.)

--------------------

Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, that could be the real culprit, sports conditioning. That's high intensity stuff, and your body is sensitive to stress; we know this because it gets reflected in the menses, and it appears that your body is responding just the same way, which is normal.

Have you tried checking in with your doctor/gynecologist/healthcare practitioner? While we may not be able to tell you why you're spotting and whether or not it is possible to have been your real period, a physician can.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 229 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Only reason for concern is that my breasts are still very tender. Maybe my period is coming, however I'm unsure. I just feel like pregnancy is near impossible considering the use of BC and withdrawal.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're absolutely correct that pregnancy is incredibly unlikely here. Breast tenderness can happen for many reasons, and is a fairly common side effect of hormonal birth control.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

I'm just going to settle with the idea that my period came before my placebo week. I feel as if that's a possible thing and worrying and stressing out won't help.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's a sensible thing for you to do here. It's absolutely possible that the bleeding before your placebo week was your period, and that can happen sometimes. Worrying and stressing definitely never helps anyone [Smile] , and there's no cause for concern in anything you've described here.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1699 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

One last thing, the bleeding I experienced was extremely light, unlike any other time. Could this of been breakthrough bleeding? And if so should I expect another period? All of my symptoms are gone now and I'm into my placebo week.
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, given that you used the pill and withdrawl, what's most likely here was it was either spotting (which can happen from time to time) or a period that was earlier and lighter than normal.

However, as Edith said, if you are still really worried about this, you can take a pregnancy test just for confirmation.

Posts: 1248 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

So to answer my question, given this was just spotting, would it be abnormal to not have a period after this so called spotting? Considering I had all normal menstrual symptoms during it?
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't predict what your body will do - you'll just have to wait and find out [Smile] Either way - whether that was spotting and you get a withdrawal bleed, or whether that was your bleed - there's no cause for concern, and both options happen to people sometimes.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1699 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

My period is due any day this week (my placebo week). And I've only been experiencing one thing and that's breast tenderness. I also had a white discharge throughout my cycle that eased up about a week ago (although that has happened before) so I don't think it is reason for concern, is it? And just to recap it is possible to have a menstrual period early on birth control? It was extremely light, way lighter than ever before, but I think that may of been because I was taking birth control and it was suppressing the bleed.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vaginal discharges are part of having a vagina, on or off the pill.

As you know, spotting is something that can happen while using the pill, and yes, sometimes people will get withdrawal bleeds before the placebo week. And if you use the pill to suppress periods at any time, both spotting and withdrawal bleeds at wonky times for a bit are more likely.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67928 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Well I wasn't using the pill to suppress the bleed, it just happened that my period came about 5 days early and I was still taking the rest of my 5 active pills. So what I was really getting at was, would those 5 active pills suppress the bleeding of an early period on birth control. I understand the chances of getting pregnant on birth control+withdrawal are as close to zero as anyone could hope, but it's just my menstrual cycle that is really throwing me for a whirl spin right now.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes a withdrawal bleed can happen even then. If you find that often, your withdrawal bleeds are not matching up with the placebo pills, it is worth a check-in with your prescribing physician, but even then it can often be nothing to worry about.

[ 02-25-2014, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67928 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Right, I think what makes it scary is that it just so happened that the month I bled early, was also the month I had sex without a condom (Although the pull-out method was used as well).
Heather
Member # 3

So, sounds like now you know, moving forward, you do not feel comfortable with that, and should probably make a different choice per what backup method you use.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

I would just add that another thing you can do, and should do, is make sure you are current with your STI screenings, since you did engage in intercourse without any STI protection, which can pose some big risks of STIs.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

I am aware of this now, the hardest part is just accepting that the pull out and pill method is safe. Seeing as now I'm just waiting for my period. And thank you [Smile] we are both each other's firsts.
Heather
Member # 3

By all means, if neither of you has ever had any kind of sexual or intimate contact with anyone else, that means the risks of most STIs are low. Not none, but low. But if you both have not started testing yet, now that you are both having those kinds of contact, it is time.

Ultimately, your pill used even alone, when you use it properly, makes pregnancy highly unlikely. Adding any other method, also used properly, as a backup makes that nearly impossible. But that does not mean you will not feel better about some backup methods more than others.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

Today my breast tenderness went away accompanied with some brown discharge. I believe this sounds more period like and doesn't sound like a side effect of pregnancy, right?
Heather
Member # 3

If you look at this, you can see why we really can't even talk about "symptoms" or "side effects" of pregnancy soundly or make guesses about them (and why you shouldn't either): Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Scared3593
Neophyte
Member # 108578

I understand all of that. However after having a seemingly early period last month, and now my brown discharge has begun for this next month, I'll take it that last month it was not implantation bleeding and that I am not pregnant.
Heather
Member # 3

And I think you can totally do that.

But as we make clear in all of our content and answers around this, *we* just can't ever give definitive answers about if someone is pregnant or not. Only pregnancy tests or exams from a healthcare provider can do that,so if what you want is an absolutely definitive answer, that's where to go for that,

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.