Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Late Period… Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late Period… Help
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lovepink888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my last period on January 9th 2014. My periods are regular and are nearly on time every month, usually fluctuating between the 9th and the 12th. My periods usually last 5-7 days. On January 20th, I started have a light brownish/bloody discharge only when I wiped. Then on the third day of this it was a very dark blood and brown. I went to the OB/GYN and by that time the dark discharge was done. I continued having the light brownish/red discharge the next day and then it ended. The OB/GYN said it was most likely breakthrough bleeding and sent me home. I still have no gotten my period. I have not had sex nor have I done anything overly sexual with my boyfriend. What is going on? Im starting to panic.
Posts: 86 | From: Fiji | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, just so you know, if over many months, your periods have always come between the 9th and 12th, they actually are not all that regular. That is because we count a cycle by how many days it is from the first day of one period to the next, and the months do not have the same amount of days. Staying around the same dates for a few months can happen with regular cycles, but after that, there will usually be a shift to different fates for a bit if those cycles stay regular. See what I mean?

You OB mentioned breakthrough bleeding: is that because you are using the pill or another hormonal method of birth control?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovepink888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not on any form of birth control and have never been sexually active in my entire lifetime. I am 21 years old.
Posts: 86 | From: Fiji | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so if you have never engaged in any kind of sex, then you know pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections are a nonissue.

Breakthrough bleeding is generally a term used about bleeding for those using hormonal methods of birth control, so I am not sure what your doctor meant when she used that term, you would have to ask her.

But if she saw nothing to be concerned about, then I am not seeing a cause for concern, either. Bodies are weird sometimes, and same goes for periods and uteruses.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovepink888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't get my period soon what would you recommend I do? Why would I have had the 4 days of random bleeding?
Heather
Member # 3

We can't possibly know that, nor can we even know if it was random. Sometimes, too, soon after a period or at the end of one, some old flow that did not make its way out comes out, it could have been that, too. But again, we can't ask your uterus what it's been up to to say.

Since it seems nothing is wrong, and like this may have even been a period, unless you go a whole other month without any flow or spotting, I would not be concerned. If it is another month or more without what looks and feels like your period, I would just call into your healthcare provider and ask them if they think they need to see you.

Really, the right person to ask these questions of is the OB you already see. Did she say you need to do anything?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

No she said she believed it was ovulation bleeding and that I would be fine. She gave me a pap smear to check for issues and said it was normal. She did give me antibiotics because she detected some bacteria but that was all.
Heather
Member # 3

Ah, ovulation spotting is different than breakthrough bleeding, and yes, that is one possibility.

It sounds like your doc has you all taken care of here: why not just stick to her care and advice?

[ 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

Thank you for all your help! I just wanted another opinion. I appreciate it [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.