Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Plan B lighter shorter period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B lighter shorter period?
GabbyKRB
Neophyte
Member # 109685

Icon 13 posted      Profile for GabbyKRB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I'd really appreciate your advise, I'm so anxious right now that I can hardly sleep.

My last period came on 27/01 and ended on 30/01. I had sex with my bf on 08/02, by sex I mean this: with my clothes on I masturbated him until he came, I got a little bit of semen on my forearm but most of it fell on the floor. He used a towel and cleaned himself and put his clothes back on. I washed my forearm as well.

We stay on the bed kissing but we got carried away and since we agreed not to have vaginal penetration (even with a condom) whilst I'm in the middle of my cycle, I told him to penetrate me from behind. He put lubricant in his penis and penetrated me, without a condom, for about 30 seconds when his penis slipped and went inside my vagina once. We both panicked because there was a chance precum had sperm since he had ejaculated earlier and hadn't peed, he also cleaned himself with a towel only didn't use water.

Less than 45 minutes later I took plan b as a single 1.5 mg levonorgestrel pill. Two days later (10/02) I had a white discharge, I didn't pay much attention to it because same thing happened the first time I took it about 10 months ago. 9 days later (19/02) I was about to go to bed when I noticed some spotting and I figured my period was about to come a few days earlier due to plan b. However, I didn't have any of the symptoms I usually have when my period is about to come. The next day I had a flow a little lighter than what I normally have on my first day, the color was also different, brownish. My period usually lasts 4 days, on day 1 and 2 I have a normal flow, day 3 spotting and day 4 just a light clear discharge with hardly any blood. This time day 2 and 3 was mostly spotting, more on day 3 than 2, day 4 was just like my normal periods.

I've read so many things online and I'm really worried, things like implantation bleeding and plan b not working close to or when already ovulating are freaking me out.

I will take a hpt next Monday, I know I could take one right now and it'd be accurate but then I'd probably believe it is a false negative.

I'm well aware only a pt will give me an accurate answer but it would be great to hear from someone who has gone through something similar or is familiar with my situation.

Many thanks in advance.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, since plan B can cause changes in your cycle, and you took it well within the appropriate window, what you experienced was most likely your period. You can read more about EC here:
Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

Period symptoms and flow can vary, and something like implantation bleeding will not resemble a period in length. Also, implantation bleeding occurs in a minority of women who become pregnant.

As you said, the only way to know for sure is to take a pregnancy test. You can find info on that here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Also, just to check, are you and your partner up to date on your STI testing?

[ 02-27-2014, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GabbyKRB
Neophyte
Member # 109685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GabbyKRB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your quick reply.

Well I'm not sure how often should we get tested, we had our only test so far on August last year, all clear.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The general guidelines for STI testing, according to the World Health Organization are:

"For the first six months of any new sexual relationship:

Have BOTH partners start out with a new, full STI screening from their sexual healthcare provider.
Use latex barriers (primarily condoms) for any and all oral, vaginal and/or anal sex, from start to finish, without exception.
Have both partner remain monogamous -- sexually exclusive to each other for those six months.
At the end of the six month period, both partners should have a second full screening."

After that, unless you switch or add partners, testing once a year can be fine.

For future reference, since I am assuming you chose anal penetration to avoid a pregnancy risk (let me know if I am wrong), unprotected anal sex can pose a small risk of pregnancy. So, that may be something to keep in mind for future reference, and you might want to give this article a read:
What anal sex is and is not

[ 02-27-2014, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.