Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B
SugarPlum1334
Neophyte
Member # 96352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SugarPlum1334     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

I have a question about emergency contraception. Well over a year ago, I had a traumatic incident and had to take Next Choice EC. I was almost 10 days late for my period, but it did show up eventually. It caused sore breasts, cramping, and a mild headache.

Last Thursday (now 6 days ago,) I had an unprotected sex risk. My boyfriend and I have ALWAYS been so careful and since we have been together have used protection of multiple forms. However, things got out of hand and he did not use a condom. He did pull out and ejaculated externally (on my stomach, not on the vulva or vagina.) I FREAKED OUT! Then I realized I was around day 18 of a typically 30 day cycle and that sometimes I ovulate as late as 18 days and I went into full blown PANIC! I immediately went to the local pharmacy and purchased Plan B One Dose. I took it in the car before I ever left the parking lot, so the pill was in my system no more than an hour after unprotected sex.

I am not anticipating my period until somewhere around next Tuesday (a full week from now,) so I am not late yet. I have sore breasts as of today and have cramped mildly ever since taking the EC. Those symptoms are similar to what I experienced the first time (and only time until now) that I took the pill. What is bothering me is that I feel nauseated and bloated with gas and constipation ever since taking Plan B. The nausea feels the same as if you haven't eaten enough during the day and feel a little queasy due to low blood sugar. It isn't severe enough where I need to vomit. It is just a mild upset or indigestion sensation. I do not remember experiencing this the other time. Could it be effecting me differently because I am older now? Could there be a difference between the Next Choice I took first and the Plan B I took this time? Also I feel like I have been urinating more, but it may just be nerves. Is it in my head? Is it too early for pregnancy symptoms to manifest?

I am so nervous and stressed that I can barely enjoy Christmas Eve with my family! I feel so embarassed and stupid for allowing this slip up. Please advise! Thank you!!!!

Posts: 13 | From: Southeastern, USA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi SugarPlum! [Smile]

Plan B can have many side effects, and those effects can vary from person to person and even from time to time to the same person. Your body is not the same of one year ago and it won't be the same of next year. Does it make sense?

A pregnancy is not something that happens inmediately, it takes around a week to get to conception. Even early pregnancy symptoms, is something that takes a couple of months. So anything you are feeling right now may be due to side effects of Plan B or maybe even stress, or something else entirely. [Smile]

One thing to keep in mind is that EC can mess up your menstrual cycle so is always a good idea to take a pregnancy test to make sure it worked. Pregnancy tests can be taken 14 days after the sexual activity. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SugarPlum1334
Neophyte
Member # 96352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SugarPlum1334     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Edith! That makes sense. I know body chemistry can change pretty significantly over the years, so maybe my hormones or even taking Plan B vs NextChoice had some effect. Is the same medicine (levonorgestrel - spelling?) in both pills or do the two differ?

I was alarmed by the nausea and stomach upset and naturally, in light of recent events, I associated the things I am feeling with pregnancy. I know the mind (and stress) is a powerful thing. I took a Phenergan that was prescribed to me from a surgery I had a few months ago to put a damper on the nausea, I hope. Are there any medications I should avoid that could interact with or make Plan B less effective (like antibiotics do to regular birth control)?

Thanks again and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

Posts: 13 | From: Southeastern, USA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, and with the information I have both medicines are the same, but this is something you need to ask to your pharmacist or your healthcare provider. I am not trained (and no one in the web is/should, really!) to discuss what medicines you should or should not take. [Smile]

BTW, I don't know how you are charting your cycles but I am going to leave you one link that might be helpful if you want to learn more about this topic:

Let's Dial Down Some (Maybe) Ovulation Freakouts [Smile]

[ 12-24-2013, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SugarPlum1334
Neophyte
Member # 96352

That makes sense. I will call the pharmacy [Smile] Any ideas if Plan B can cause increased urination? Maybe I am just drinking more than usual or am nervous, but it seems like I have to pee in greater volumes and more often over the past few days. There is no burning or inability to empty my bladder like you would think infection would cause and I'm not waking up in the night to go to the bathroom. I went at 8:30 this am my time and now at 10:40 I have to go again, but have not drank anything. Could that be Plan B at work?
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Urinating more than normal may be, or not, a side effect of the EC. Again, this is something that only a healthcare provider can answer, as they know better how medicines work. [Smile]

--------------------

SugarPlum1334
Neophyte
Member # 96352

Is vaginal itching (like a yeast infection) a possible side effect of Plan B?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Edith said, the side effects can vary from person to person, and from use to use, so there's no way for us to know if thats what's happening here. If the itching it becoming a problem, you can always schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SugarPlum1334
Neophyte
Member # 96352

I spoke with a pharmacist and was told that Plan B can cause vaginal itching or a yeast infection because of the large dose of hormones being introduced into the body. I used Monistat, just to be on the safe side, and the symptoms stopped.

I am now, technically, late for my period. It has been 29 days since my last cycle. However, I cannot remember the last time my period started prior to 30 or 31 days. Late last night and early this morning I started experiencing what feels like the pressure and mild cramping sensation I have before my period each month. My breasts are also swollen and sore to touch. Is this to be expected? It it is still far too early for pregnancy symptoms, correct? I am trying not to stress and hope my period shows up in the next few days.

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your cycle is usually 30 or 31 days, you're not late at all yet. You should base your expected cycle length on what your own body usually does, not on the general rough average of 28 days.

Yes, it would be too early for your body to show any signs of pregnancy.

The symptoms you're having are common pre-menstrual symptoms. Using Plan B can also affect your body and make pre-menstrual symptoms different from usual - it also sometimes makes no difference at all.

While you're waiting for your period, you might find that some of the suggestions here help you out: Self-Care a La Carte

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.