Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Weird discharge!??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird discharge!??
OliveCon
Neophyte
Member # 107898

Icon 11 posted      Profile for OliveCon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off i want to say i've never had sex of any kind, so there is no way i am pregnant, or have an STD that i know of

So my discharge lately has been a bit.. Snotty for lack of better words. Its been coming out as kind of snotty clumps, instead of just liquid that would soak into the liner. Like for example, i could wipe it off with a tissue. Also, some of it is clear, but sometimes its tinged yellowish-brownish. (The yellow color has come before for my entire life, never been to doctor for it, i just considered it normal. However i found a brown chunck that sort of resembeled a period clot a while ago. And to make matters worse, today when i wiped, i found a bit of fresh red blood( just a tiny miniscule amount).

What could this be!? Its freaking me out, im so scared. There is no pain or itching. Im really really scared. Ive never had disharge like this, or any kind of spotting before. My last period started on the 6th and ended on the 10th. Thanks. :/

Posts: 37 | From: America | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey OliveCon,

That does sound kinda scary. Unfortunately, we don't have any idea what it could be either; it could just be something as simple as your body cleaning something out. But to be sure, we would advise you bringing such medical concerns and questions to your family doctor or some other healthcare practitioner to rule out anything serious.

Thanks for stopping by! [Smile]

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveCon
Neophyte
Member # 107898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OliveCon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it sound like an infection or something though?? I really dont want to go to doctor or bring anything up to my parents. Should i just leave it alone and hope it sorts itself out??
Posts: 37 | From: America | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi OliveCon,
It's pretty scary when your body does something you don't expect it to do. Take a deep breath though. Changes in discharge are generally part of the deal for those of us who have vaginas.

It's not even uncommon for discharge to be kinda yucky for a few days, though if there's a bad smell, lots of itching or pain, or any other clear signs that something might be really amiss or if the yucky discharge is around for more than a day or two, it really is sound to see a healthcare provider just to get them to take a look at what's going on.

How long has this unusual discharge been going on for you?

Have you read through our article on discharges to know what is generally healthy discharge and what is generally considered unhealthy? If not, take a look:

Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

It is possible to have a vaginal infection that has nothing to do with whether one is sexually active or not. Vaginal infections just happen sometimes, when the bacterial balance gets out of whack or there's a yeast- overgrowth.

i'm not saying either of these is what you have, only that they're possibilities that are both easily managed with a trip to a healthcare provider. Yucky and frustrating, yes, but not anything to be scared of. [Smile]

[ 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveCon
Neophyte
Member # 107898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OliveCon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive noticed the snotty discharge for like a week, but i assumed it was pretty normal. The brown clot looking thing was around 4 days ago, and the streak of blood was about half an hour ago. So idk. Sometimes ( over the course of my entire life after pubery) itll smell bad or itch for a little bit, but it always just fixes itself after a while. But ive never had the blood or the clot thing before which is why im scared.
OliveCon
Neophyte
Member # 107898

Im worried im way to embarrased to tell parents, doctor is very expensive, and clinics are very far away.. Will it fix itself if i ignore it??
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional spotting isn't unusual, and isn't usually a cause for concern. if you continue spotting on a regular basis, it really is worth checking in with a healthcare provider, but if it just happens every once in a while, that generally isn't necessary.

There's no way for us to predict whether this is going to hang around for a while the way it is, get worse, or go away.

You know, I'm not sure what your relationship with your parents is like, or how easy you find it to talk to them, but one thing I can tell you is that having vaginal problems, whether they go away on their own or need extra help from a healthcare provider, is pretty darn normal. I'd say having these kind of vaginal issues is about as normal as having a runny nose. Vaginas are part of the body, and while we get lots of shame and negative messages about them heaped on us, they, and the way they work (which includes them sometimes not feeling well)), are just as normal and everyday as any other body part. [Smile]

So, if it does come to you needing to talk to your parents to have them help you get healthcare, you can know that you'd be telling them about something that is pretty darn normal, that lots of people experience, and that doesn't make you a bad or gross person.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.