Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Emergency Contraception

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emergency Contraception
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gilang5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarleteen!

So today: I accidentally got heated with my gf, found a condom and had intercourse, but then when I ejaculated I forgot to pull out immediately. When we checked the semen was at the end of condom (base of penis)!

Then, we went to hospital to get an EC. The doctor gave us two tablets of Mediol. It is basically indicated for treatment of non-occurrence of menstrual periods in certain cases (secondary amenorrhea). But the doctor said it can also be used as EC.

My question is, is he right?

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not at all familiar with that medication, so I can't say.

However, if the condom was still on your penis when you withdrew, there wiuld not have been a need for EC in the first place. And what you may well have been seeing at the base of your penis were a combination of her fluids and lubricant from the condom.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gilang5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply Heather.

http://www.meprofarm.co.id/menus/detail_all_product-83-MEDIOL

That said I could expect period comes early. Did the standard EC pills do the same thing as this?

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already looked it up, but again, I am not educated about this medication, so I cannot answer the questions you are asking. What is available to search on the internet just does not give me any more information than it would give you. I do have writing a piece about these kinds of medications in my to-do lust, but have not dine the research for it yet to have these answers. I don't know everything! [Smile]

Who you need to ask about this, or she does, since it is her body, is a healthcare professional in your own country.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, EC can alter the timing of periods (either making them earlier or later).
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Okay then, thanks for the reply guys [Smile]
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Whoa she tells me that she was vomiting and having a very bad nausea this morning. Is it normal?
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nausea is a common side effect of EC but the best person to answer this question is the doctor who prescribed it. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Okay, I will go see the doctor later today.

Btw, what exactly is withdrawal bleeding?

gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Okay this is kind of serious thing..

Today I went to hospital to see the doctor who gave us that pill. But because he wasn't around today, the nurse gave me his phone number instead.

So, I texted him that my girlfriend got pretty bad nausea and vomiting the morning after taking the Mediol pill. He answered that she should take a pregnancy test at the lab, if it comes up negative she must drink more water and he gave prescription of upset stomach drugs.

But when I asked what exactly is Mediol pills, HE DIDN'T REPLY IT! even though I've been texted him three times!

So what I learned on the internet: Mediol Pill contains combination of methylestrenolone and methylestradiol, it is a hormonal preparation that can induce menstrual bleeding. So it is basically not an EC (I suppose) instead it is used to treat late or missing menstruation in an absence of pregnancy.

And when I Google it up, it said that it is dangerous to use that kind of pill as an EC. Some said it can be fatal

Now I don't know what to do anymore. What should I do??

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you all :')

Heather
Member # 3

Well, since the doctor us someone she saw, I am not surprised he is not communicating with you. She is his patient, and per privacy and confidentiality policies, he may not actually be able to communicate with you about her care, as you are neither her parent nor her spouse.

If your girlfriend is not feeling well deue to a medication he prescribed her, then she needs to call in or go in to see that doctor or another herself.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

But it was me that met him and get the pill for her in the first place. Now she is out of town until January, so I can't just call her back here to see the doctor. Besides, she don't want to go to gynecologist. It is a shame in our country to have sex before marriage

I can't wait that long while she suffer like this outta town, tomorrow I will go to hospital and get all information about this mistery pill from different doctor

Heather
Member # 3

But it is not you taking that pill. Any of this is going to go better if she, herself, communicates with these providers. If that is something she feels incapable of doing or unwilling to do, whatever the circumstances, then I would strongly suggest you two reconsider being sexual together again soon. It is really hard to have a healthy sexual relationship of equals if one person cannot or will not actively participate in their own care.

Regardless, these are about communications between healthcare providers we do not know and are not associated with, so again, this just is not something we can help with, I'm afraid.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Okay may I ask what is withdrawal bleeding? Today my girlfriend had brown spotting. What is this?

So the timeline is just like this:

- 14th December: First day of period
- 19th December: Last day of period
- 23rd & 24th:
*Got a two tablet of mysterious estrogen pill called Mediol from doctor, instructed to take it consecutively that day and the next day.
*Vomiting, nauseated on the 24th
- 25th : Had brown spotting

What is going on if you guys just guess?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Withdrawal bleeding is what we call a period when someone is on hormonal contraception. So, that really doesn't apply here. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

So, is it more likely breakthrough bleeding? or ovulation bleeding? since today was her fertile time
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way for us to say what this was.

Also, most people don't experience bleeding with ovulation, so unless your girlfriend charts her cycles through measuring her basal body temperature daily, and unless she knows that she tends to bleed around ovulation, I'd just let go of the idea of ovulation bleeding as something that happens to her, okay?

It's certainly possible that the bleeding is in response to whatever pill the doctor gave her. however, that'd be a question to ask the doctor, not us.

Really, it sounds like you have a lot of fears and uncertainties. I'd suggest starting by not focusing so much on your girlfriend's discharges. They're rarely going to tell you anything useful about what is going on with her.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.