Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » pregnancy test. and need help on looking for a health care provider

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy test. and need help on looking for a health care provider
jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jakefinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I am new to scarleteen and before I wrote this I read up on some of the articles. And what I have read is that all of the things I did can't cause a pregnancy .ie: oral sex, manual sex„and dry sex fully clothed) however my period have not been here for over 2 months. And I have decided to that I will take a pregnancy test. So I can at least get this littl freak out I am having over with. But my problem is that I am scared that people will b suspicious why I am buying a pregnancy test. Also I forgot to mention that last month I had very very light brown spotting which is around the time I was expecting my period. But it didn't look anything like my normal period so I did not consider it as one.. could that have been my period?If it is then I am a week late now and if it was not my period my period have been missing for 2 months. So my plan is that I after I take the test. I really want to go to a health care provider to find out if something is wrong with my body..but I don't know where and how I'm
.I can go to one without my parents finding out since I am still a minor.

Posts: 10 | From: alberta | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jakefinn,

Periods can go missing for lots of reasons. You can read more about that here: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

If you feel that taking a pregnancy test will make you feel better, then that's always an option. As far as what other people may think, just keep reminding yourself that this is your business not theirs.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps any: people at a drugstore are probably not going to think much if at all about your circumstances when buying a test. They will check out dozens of customers in a given day and usually those people will all blend together in retrospect. So, it may feel to you like you're being really conspicuous buying that test, but it's likely that other people in the store won't think much of it. =)

Sometimes people do have lighter-than-normal periods. Since what you're describing happened when you were expecting your period, that's probably what it was, although there's no way we can know for sure.

Do you have a regular doctor you already see for general checkups? If so you may be able to just ask your parents to make an appointment because you've been feeling unwell; doctors will respect your privacy and won't report the reason for your visit to your parents if you ask them not to.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jakefinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't have a regular doctor that i go to. I need help on looking for a health care provider that will be able to give testing for pregnancy ,sti testing and possibly figure out why i have been missing my period for more than two months. Also can i be sure that they wont contact my parents about any of the testing? because i am still a minor.
Posts: 10 | From: alberta | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought is if there's a planned parenthood or something similar nearby, they should be able to provide you with some or all of those services. Do you know if there is one you'd be able to access?

Also, have you tried using our Find-a-doc page to see what's nearby you?

[ 12-09-2013, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jakefinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very scared of telling my parents that i want to go to the doctor because my period is not here yet. Because I already know that they will jump into conclusion that I am sexually active and most likely make me break up with my boyfriend. Im really scared that they will not trust me any more because of this that is why i want to find out myself. pls help
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

As Mo mentioned, you have the option of telling your parents you're not feeling well (which is true) and then once you're in the appointment you can discuss what you need to discuss with your doctor

If you find something on the find-a-doc that looks promising, are you able to self-transport (either by car or public transportation)?

[ 12-09-2013, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

i could not find one in that link. I dont live in the U.S thats why i think i could not find one
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

We do include non-US clinics, but it may be that there either isn't one nearby or if there is one we don't have it listed.

Who do you usually go see when you are having health issues?

If you don't mind my asking, what makes you think your parents will jump to the conclusion that you're engaging in pregnancy causing behaviors?

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

I also want to add that, when you're evaluating your options, to keep what Molias said about how the spotting you experienced may have been just a lighter than average period.
jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

there's a nearby clinic we usually go to but my auntie works there. Also Im scared that they will just assume im engaging in sexual activities and to them anything intimate will aperantly cause pregnancy.
jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

there's a nearby clinic we usually go to but my auntie works there. Also Im scared that they will just assume im engaging in sexual activities and to them anything intimate will aperantly cause pregnancy.
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

As long as your aunt is not the doctor who will be providing care for you, there's no reason for her to know what you're there for and the questions you ask. That's something that gets to be between you and the doctor.

I don't think it's really necessary for your behavior to even come up in the conversation with your parents. You can either say you simply aren't feeling well, or you can say that your period is being irregular and that you'd like to see someone about it. You could even head off the reaction you anticipate from them by saying that part of the reason you're worried is that you haven't done anything that could cause pregnancy, so you want to talk to someone about the other possible reasons for an irregular period. Do you think that is something you'd be comfortable doing?

jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

Yes. Thank you. But before I say something to them . These activities (oral sex, manual sex, dry humping fully clothed, kissing ) all have 0 % of causing pregnancy. So pregnancy is impossible . Am I correct?? Also I have decided that I will talk to my school counsilor about helping me about my anxiety
jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

So I just took a pregnancy test this morning and I got a negative result. I did everything correctly. In the one that I got it says dip it in urine for 5 seconds. I was a little nervous when I was taking it so I kinda pulled the test away at 4.45 seconds do u think that's enough time...andI got a negative result considering all the activities I did dont post a pregnancy risk from the articles I read in your website like manual sex, oral sex, dry humping. Is there any reason for me to worry at all?? Sorry I really need to talk to someone about these things cause I tend to have small episodesl of panic attack about pregnancy scares, germs, school, expectations. Is there anyway you guys can help me vope with the stress I am having??
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have any questions about the pregnancy test you took, the company that manufactured the test is your best resource. There would have been a customer service number on the package; that is there so people can call and ask questions about the test itself.
It sounds, though, like this is a lot more about anxiety that you experience on a pretty regular basis. Have you ever spoken with a healthcare provider or mental healthcare provider (counselor) about your anxiety? If not, that would be an excellent place to start with getting help.

In the meantime, doing some self-care can often help people get some relief from anxiety and worry. Here are some ideas for self-care:

Self-Care a La Carte

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

I will be talking to my school counsillor. Do you think that if I ask my counsillor about referring me to a health care provider because I am because I am having anxiety attack and pregnancy scares. She will keep it confidential and not tell my parents
Because I just really want to get a full body check up like a blood test. To figure out if something is up with my body.

jakefinn
Neophyte
Member # 109057

i meant can i be certain that my school counsillor will keep it confidential..and not tell my parents if I ask her I want to be refered to a health care provider.
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

I think it will be best to talk to your counselor about what they can and cannot help you with. I don't think they'll be able to refer you to health care provider, but they may be able to help you come up with strategies for managing your anxiety

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.