Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Broken condom during sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Broken condom during sex
Uber_Jess
Neophyte
Member # 102586

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Uber_Jess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey so I just had sex with my boyfriend and the condom broke sometime during sex but we didn't realize this had happened until after he had already ejaculated. I pushed down on my vagina after he had pulled out and some semen leaked out, so I am unsure as to what the next step is. This has never happened before and I am trying to remain calm and not freak out. I am on the pill, so what are the chances of pregnancy, and can I take the morning after pill or something like that just in case?
Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are on the pill and taking it as directed, there is nothing further you need to do here. That is the point of using two methods of birth control: if one fails, you can fall back on the other.

There is no point in using EC, as the protection offered by EC is lower than that of daily birth control at typical use.

A broken condom does also inrease your STI risks, so if you have not been tested recently, now is a good time to get caught up.

(And just as a note: with ejaculation during intercourse without a condom, some of the ejaculatory fluid will leak back out just due to gravity, and that in itself does not have any impact on the likelyhood of a pregnancy.)

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uber_Jess
Neophyte
Member # 102586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uber_Jess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks! That's a huge relief!
Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms actually rarely break when used and stored properly. So, if you also want to do some troubleshooting to figure out why this happened so you can be more likely to avoid it happening again, I'd be happy to do that with you, Jess.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.