Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnancy scare - partner did not wash penis in between protected sexual intercourses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy scare - partner did not wash penis in between protected sexual intercourses
anya87
Neophyte
Member # 108476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anya87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Scarleteen,

My partner and I had sexual intercourse two consecutive times last night. Although we had protected sex with condoms both times, I still have pregnancy fear, because my friend did not wash his penis after the first time. We started our second foreplay in about 15 mins after we had our first intercourse. I played with his penis, both with my hands and mouth & tongue, he also fingered me. I wouldn´t be too worried, except that I realized today that I am on my ovulation now (16 days from the start of my last period). What are the chances of me getting pregnant? Shouold I take the emergency pill? I still have time to take it tomorrow, but would rather not if it chances of pregnancy are very small or near zero. I already took such morning pills a couple of times in the last year (as I am really paranoid if something happens and I am not too certain, even if I have protected sex with condoms), so I would rather avoid taking one this time...Please advise...

Posts: 2 | From: Berlin | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi anya,

the way condoms tend fail, when they do, is to break, and this is a very visible, much like a popped balloon. So if the condom didn't break then pregnancy couldn't really have been caused by the intercourse you had. We tend to say that there has to be direct contact between vulva and penis/semen for there to be a pregnancy risk.

In future however, a condom indeed could break, so if you wanted to reduce that risk and the concern around that risk, it sounds like you might benefit from using a 2nd form of contraception.

To me emergency contraception doesn't seem necessary. However it would be your decision.

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anya87
Neophyte
Member # 108476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anya87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jacob,

I appreciate your quick response!
The condom did not break, but my fear is that there could be some alive semen left from the first intercourse , which was tranferred on my partner´s and my hands, then touched the second condom, my vulva...So is this not considered a direct contact?

Posts: 2 | From: Berlin | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we say "direct contact" we mean something like naked genitals touching, or someone ejaculating directly on bare genitals. Touching semen and then touching genitals falls into the realm of indirect contact, which isn't a risk. Have you seen this article? It's a good run-down of what can and can't cause pregnancy (and what you're describing would fall under "manual sex" here): Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.