Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help please
alphafemale
Neophyte
Member # 108383

Icon 11 posted      Profile for alphafemale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little background- I was put on birth control to combat amenorrhea caused by low estrogen last year (I hadn't had a period for 3 years). I was given a higher dose in May and by August 11th, I stopped taking them because the side effects had become so bad (constantly tired, nauseous, breast enlargement) By the 13th I felt back to my old self. I had protected sex on August 18th and 21st (condoms used correctly) on the 21st, my boyfriend finished in me.

Since August 29th, I noticed one of my nipples was really sore (not the other, just one which was odd) and it seemed like it has gotten bigger in the past couple days. I feel fairly bloated and had a little bout of queasiness for the couple days (felt similar to the side effects of the pill, but I'm not on it anymore so am a little confused).

Since I dont know what PMS normally feels like, I can't judge whether these symptoms might be the oncoming of a period (finally) or if I'm pregnant, or if it could just be my unbalanced hormones acting up. I took a hpt yesterday (9/1) and it came back negative, but i wasn't sure if it was too early to tell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi alphafemale,

I'm not sure what could be causing the soreness and other symptoms you're reporting, but with pregnancy it's rare to have noticeable symptoms only, say, a week or two into it. The first sign most people notice is a missed period, and things like breast soreness happen later in a pregnancy, not in the first month.

To clarify - when you say your boyfriend finished in you, was he wearing a condom at the time? I wasn't clear on that.
Condoms are very effective when used properly; do you have a good sense of proper use? If you aren't comfortable using condoms on their own as birth control, have you talked to your doctor about investigating a different type of birth control from the pill, which might have fewer side effects? Some folks are perfectly happy to use just condoms as birth control, but since it sounds like you're worried about pregnancy after using them properly, it may help to hold off on intercourse for a bit while you investigate other options or become more comfortable with the idea of using just condoms.

As for the pregnancy test, you want to wait until at least two weeks from the risk to take one, so the earliest a test would be fully accurate would be the 4th. You can read more about pregnancy tests here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alphafemale
Neophyte
Member # 108383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alphafemale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my boyfriend was using a condom at that time. I think i just worry because I don't really know what is normal for my body anyways. We both are at college right now so there won't be any sex as is. Thank you for the quick response. I won't see my doctor for a few months, but I will ask her about some other options. Thanks again
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.