Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » New Protocol for Pregnancy Scares

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Protocol for Pregnancy Scares
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As longtime readers/users may know, we've tried a bunch of different approaches to try and best manage the sometimes high-level of pregnancy scare posts here.

So far, we're not happy with any of them entirely, perhaps you aren't either.

Here's what we're going to try next:
• We WILL help users evaluate a given situation for possible pregnancy risks if they ask for that. And per usual, when people truly are pregnant, we will gladly help with working through whatever choice anyone wants to make with that, including giving help making a choice, if that is wanted.

• We Will NOT, however, go back and forth until the end of time doing things like trying to convince users that science is a real thing that is sound, or undo users irrational fears about pregnancies, like that despite periods and negative pregnancy tests, they *believe* they are pregnant.

We also will NOT continue to help a user with a pregnancy scare who refuses to get or take a pregnancy test, or with a partner who refuses. That's a limit we need to hold. We need users to basically invest just as much, if not more, of their own time, energy and $ in these situations as we do, particularly since when we're talking about consensual sex, that was a choice you made, not us.

• We also WILL stick to our three-strikes rule about pregnancy scares again and again as stated in the user agreement everyone who registers agrees to. And we will NOT invest a whole bunch of time when users want to micro-analyze every detail of a possible pregnancy risk: when we answer you, you'll get to accept our answer or not, but for the most part, if you choose not to accept it, you'll need to just do that without kind of keeping us on the hook about your non-acceptance of the facts.

It's simply not a reasonable or sound use of your time, energy and resources to engage in arguments with users about things they may not believe are factual, but which are.

• Lastly we will continue to make clear that we do not have the education nor the means to counsel users with ongoing mental health issues at the root of, or exacerbating, pregnancy scares, issues like OCD or anxiety disorders, for instance. We will continue to make clear that those issues need to be addressed by mental health professional qualified to evaluate and treat those disorders.

And we'll just see how this goes this way. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpmg96
Neophyte
Member # 108400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpmg96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hii, I had sexual intercourse with my ex boyfriend the 31st of september, i was on my last day of ovulation according to my menstual calendar although it is a "estimation" it was protected and he never cum inside me, although because i was in my ovulation days i'm quite worried about that, we didn't have any type of genital contact until he had the condom on, he just fingered me and then he put the condom on. Im a little paranoid but i just want to know should i worry? i've asked some friends and they told me that if it was safe sex and nothing out of common happened i shall not although you never know... it was 2 days ago but I think I'm really scared... should I worry?
Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi mpmg96,

We ask that everyone start a new topic for their questions; can you click "new topic" at the top or bottom of the page to start your own thread for this question? Thanks!

Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.