Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Friend in crisis, need resources

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friend in crisis, need resources
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! This doesn't really pertain to sexual health, but I wasn't sure where else to go.

A close friend of mine is in serious crisis - she has bipolar disorder, and has been having ups and downs for some time now. Last night, she attempted suicide via pill overdose. Her roommates saved her and she's alive, but now they're at a crossroads. They don't feel comfortable with her living with them because they're not sure they can handle her mood swings, so to speak, and/or provide the support she needs.

She's 19 and lives with them in Virginia. She either has little or no insurance. I was wondering if there might be any resources you folks at Scarleteen knew of or could dig up, be it a hotline, some kind of clinic, or an inpatient facility. She needs help and we want to help her, REALLY help her.

I apologize for such a disjointed message (I don't have a lot of time right now but I really wanted to get this message out.) Please let me know if there's any additional details you need from me. Thank you so much.

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JB,

I'm so sorry to hear what you and your friend are going through.

Here is one national helpline which connects a network of local resources: They may also be able to connect you to more information.
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

I feel that if a mental illness has reached the point of suicide attempts then that is an illness that has become life threatening and that person needs care as soon as they can get it. If they're attempting suicide imminently then I would consider that an emergency.

I'm afraid I'm not up-to-date with how health insurance works in the USA... but care for mental health is important so getting that care in my opinion should be a priority and finding out how it can be paid comes with that. But I imagine somehow or other with this severity that there would be a way.

I also found these numbers on the university of Virginia Women's centre website, if she happens to be anywhere near there:
http://womenscenter.virginia.edu/resources.php

Suicide/Psychiatric Emergencies
Region Ten Emergency Services: 434-972-1800
Conducts assessments and can hospitalize. Available 24 hours a day.

If she happens a student there, this one might be accessible? - but maybe that's a long shot. However if she is a student or employee somewhere else, there may be resources institutionally that she can access.

Counseling and Psychological Services: 434-243-5150
For non-life-threatening crises after 5pm and on weekends, call 434-972-7004; an on-call counselor will return your call. UVa students only.

Does any of that sound like it might be helpful to you?

[ 08-25-2013, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 594 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also found a document here full of resources from the virginia department of health:

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/ofhs/prevention/preventsuicideva/documents/2012/pdf/Virginia_Suicide_Prevention_Directory.pdf

Posts: 594 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jacob! Thank you so much for all these resources - I'll take a look at them and then pass them along.

The only reason I brought up financial concerns is because my friend doesn't really have any familial support whatsoever, so I didn't want to add to her stress or take away from her recovery but saying "hey here's a thing BUT you have to shell out X amount of money for it."

Really, thank you so much for this. You're phenomenal.

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JB,

Something else your friend can do is call 2-1-1. it's a service that helps people access resources local to them, and, from what I understand, they will work with someone until they find the services that meet their needs.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Robin, that is supremely helpful, thank you SO much! I'm passing along all this information now to her roommates, and hopefully things will get sorted out. Again, I really appreciate such a quick response, I cannot thank you enough.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.