Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Used the withdrawl method, should i take the morning after pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Used the withdrawl method, should i take the morning after pill?
Meanie
Neophyte
Member # 22219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
I've been married and sexullay active for two years. I used BC pills for a year and then changed to condoms because i suffered depression and decreased sex drive from using bc pills.

Last night for the first time ever my husband and i used the pull out method. We had sex for a long time and he withdrew a short while prior to ejaculating. Yesterday was day 13 of my menstrual cycle so i guess i was ovulating.

Is there a chance i could get pregnant since pre-cum contains semen? Im considering taking the morning after pill but am hesitant due to the possible side effects of the hormones on my body. But if i had to choose between getting pregnant or dealing with the sidebeffects i would choise to take the pill and deal with the side effects.

Thanx for your help.

Posts: 18 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Meanie,

Here is some information about the withdrawal method, including it's effectiveness rate.

Withdrawal

It's really not possible to say whether you've ovulated unless you have been charting your basal body temperature and cervical mucus every day for several months.

It's really up to you, based on the level of risk and your comfort with that level, whether you take emergency contraception. Here is some information on plan B to help you make that decision.

Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

It might help to know that emergency contraception contains only one hormone, a form of progesterone, rather than progesterone and estrogen as many daily birth control pills. Plus, E.C. is one dose, not pills taken on a daily basis. So, your reaction to taking emergency contraception may not be the same as that which you had to daily birth control.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meanie
Neophyte
Member # 22219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Robin,
Thank you for your promt response- it is greatly appreciated.

I read the links you posted and i understand the pros and cons. But i just want your opinion on what you think i should do in my situation. Last night's pull out method was just a one time thing (i dont intend on using it as a form of birth control) and i really dont want to get pregnant right now. Should i take the morning after pill?

Posts: 18 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Meanie,

This really isn't a decision I can make for you.

As you read, the withdrawal method is has been found to be 96% effective when used properly. If your partner withdrew well before ejaculation, then you practiced withdrawal effectively.

Are you comfortable with that level of risk?

If you are not comfortable with that level of risk, you would then want to get emergency contraception and take it as soon as possible.

If you are comfortable with that level of risk, you would want to test for pregnancy in a couple of weeks' time if you did not get your period before then.

Is there any other information you feel like you need in order to help you with this decision?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meanie
Neophyte
Member # 22219

Thank you for your help, you gave me sufficient information. I decided to take the emergency contraception just to put my mind at ease. I dont want to worry for two weeks.

Thanks again for your help Robin [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're very welcome.

It sounds like you're going to go back to using condoms. If you'd like to talk about other birth control methods, we'd be happy to do that with you.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.