Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Testing for peace of mind?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Testing for peace of mind?
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was supposed to get my period around this date, but I didn't. They're irregular, but not usually late. Most of the time they're actually early. I am sexually active with my boyfriend, and we use condoms and withdrawal as protection. I know those two aren't really recommended to go together, but he pulls out well in advance and always holds the base of the condom. We're super careful and have always checked the condoms and never had one slip, break, etc. I know that the chances of me getting pregnant are slim, but it's weird that I'm late. I did just start a new job so I could be stressed. Do you think I should buy a pregnancy test just for some peace of mind? My period will never come if I keep worrying about it.
Posts: 45 | From: Lousiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll often say that when what we're scared of is a potential pregnancy, and it may be possible, $10 for a test is way cheaper than therapy. [Smile]

So, by all means, if seeing that negative result will make you feel better, I say go for it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68016 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just took a Walmart brand test and it said it was negative. Can I rely on that?
Posts: 45 | From: Lousiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you followed the instructions and the test was not past its expiration date, then you can trust the result.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5738 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

So no period & two pregnancy tests taken correctly, both came out negative. What's the deal? [Frown]
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

The only thing I can think of that would make it late is maybe I didn't ovulate when I usually do? Or maybe stress? But I really didn't think I was THAT stressed.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a ton of reasons periods can be late: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68016 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

So is this normal? I hardly ever have late periods, especially since I started having vaginal sex. Can I rule out pregnancy?
Heather
Member # 3

I'd say so, yes.

As well, I'd say that in a lifetime of menstrual cycles, you are going to have some be off now and then, even if most commonly, your cycles are very regular.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.