Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Birth control question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control question
monpetitchou993
Neophyte
Member # 108014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monpetitchou993     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize if this is a bit lengthy but I just need to explain myself before I ask my question, to be fair to those who answer.

I've been on birth control for 3 months now and have not had any issues with it at all. I take it around the same time every night, and my boyfriend and I still use condoms for the majority of the time. When we don't use condoms, he pulls out instead of finishing inside me.

About a week ago on Thursday, I was visiting him at his house for the weekend and we had sex without a condom. He didn't finish inside me, but finished on my abdomen instead. The following Monday, I went to my best friend's house and brought my birth control with me so I could take it while I was there. When my alarm went off for me to take my pill, I looked through my purse for my packet and couldn't find it. Confused and a little worried, I grabbed my keys and went out to my car so I could drive home to take my pill. When I went out to my car, I noticed that my packet of pills was on the ground, next to one of my tires. I immediately went inside and took my pill as scheduled, but I've been wondering since then if the temperature outside has compromised the effectiveness of my pills.

I called the pharmacy where I get my pills from and spoke with a nurse at my gyno's office, and both of the people I talked to told me that I had nothing to worry about and that a few hours of heat would not affect the pills, as long as they were not in direct sunlight and they were still packaged correctly. Birth control pills can be in temperature's up to 86 degrees, and the temperature outside on Monday was around 80-82 degrees where I live.

My question is, do I need to be so paranoid about this? My boyfriend and I are always very safe. Does the incident where we went without a condom on Thursday count as a pregnancy risk? or should I just assume that both of the individuals I spoke with know what they're talking about and chill out? I'll be starting my placebo pills tomorrow night so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I'm just looking for some third and fourth opinions from a source I know I can trust. Any feedback is appreciated [Smile]

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey chou welcome to scarleteen,

I don't think we ever 'need' to be paranoid about anything ever. Sometimes it's crappy experience that we have to put up with but it's certainly not something we should feel bad for trying to step away from. It's also not a moral obligation... I know for some people worrying, as stressful as it is, makes them feel as if they've been more active in preventing bad stuff from happening to them, but life just doesn't work that way.

It is good however to have felt able and confident enough to seek out the right information and to feel able to take the reasonable steps to make sure the decisions we've been making are ok with what we want and to be able to shift things if necessary.

I would say the best information you can trust is what you sought out from the pharmacy. 86 degrees is might even be a number given on the safe side anyway, it sounds reasonable, and I certainly don't see why they would lie to you.

Thankfully finally, a belly is not sexual organ so semen there can't cause a pregnancy.

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monpetitchou993
Neophyte
Member # 108014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monpetitchou993     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jacob!

Just wanted someone to talk to about it, that's all.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem! Come by any time.
Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.