Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Help ): what are the chances?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help ): what are the chances?
jamesmast
Neophyte
Member # 107950

Icon 4 posted      Profile for jamesmast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gf and I had protected sex twice with a condom (one week before period and 4 days before period). And to ensure double safety, i would eject my penis out of her and ejaculate onto the condom, then tied it up and disposed it.

So her period has been 3 days late so she went to the pharmacy and bought a pregnancy test. The test came out negative. How accurate is this? Should I be stressing this much? Like the chances are very very slim right?

She tells me to calm down and that shes not pregnant. So am i just worrying about it too much?

Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the boards, James. [Smile]

So, you can take a look here to see how effective the combination of condoms and withdrawal are: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

As you can see, when both are used properly, there is almost no risk of pregnancy whatsoever (as is the case with any two methods of contraception used together and properly).

On the instructions for the pregnancy test, it would have said how accurate it was. Generally, they are over 99% accurate when taken per the instructions.

In other words, all of that information should make very clear that pregnancy, as your girlfriend is telling you, is a non-issue.

If you're having trouble letting go of those fears, but the person who, herself, could have actually been pregnant isn't, why do you think that is?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamesmast
Neophyte
Member # 107950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamesmast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah Thanks for the fast reply. Yes I searched up the brand of the pregnancy test, and it is said to be very accurate and can be used on the first day of your expected period or 2 days before.
Although the pregnancy test did show negative and i used the condom+withdrawal correctly, i keep doubting myself because her period hasnt came yet.

She said to me having sex just before her period delays it, is this true? What other reasons could her period come late?

Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamesmast
Neophyte
Member # 107950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamesmast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She hasn't had any symptoms such as severe abdominal pain, back pain, headaches, fatigue, nausea, bloating.

This is during school holidays, so her daily routines changes such as sleep time, skipping breakfast and probably her eating habits. Like do these things affect her period?

Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of those things effect period, just as much as emotional pressure like fear of pregnancy or in your case a pressure from yourself around periods.

Also, although a period is often taken as strong proof that a person isn't pregnant. The absence of a period is far far far from proof that they are... Far more accurate are pregnancy tests, which are invented for this very reason, because they are more accurate than biological guess work.

As Heather said, if this isn't a problem for your girlfriend, it needn't be one for you as you have both done all that could be expected to prevent pregnancy AND to have triple checked that prevention with a pregnancy test.

I would perhaps advise you to leave her to monitor her own periods and check out if perhaps you have some unchecked anxieties surrounding sex in general that are manifesting in a fear of a nigh impossible pregnancy.

It's obviously creating a lot of stress for you, and it doesn't strike me as the kind of stress which would go away just because your girlfriend isn't pregnant (as we can see).

Are you able to see that in yourself and your own reactions?

It doesn't seem to me we could do much more to help you unless you were seeking advice on how to approach those underlying issues rather than a situation that the pregnancy-test your girlfriend took can speak on with much more accuracy than we ever could.

Posts: 692 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamesmast
Neophyte
Member # 107950

She took another pregnancy test one week after her missed period and it came out negative. So that's a total of two pregnancy test that came negative.

Just a delay period because shes having cramps.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.